_

_

Thursday, 24 April 2014

Connection




I have been without my sweet/crabby TB gelding Blue for about 6 years now.  I think about him often.  He was put down in February 2008, due to an inoperable tear in his colon.  It was a gift to spend 7 years with him. 



I hoped to find a relative of Blue to purchase as my second horse initially but I never had any luck.  I did shop and still do occasionally check for horses that share his bloodlines, the problem is that they are very old lines so there aren’t a lot of horses that share much blood with him.  I had kind of given up hope on ever seeing/owning a relative of him.
There has always been something about Henry that reminds me of Blue.  Even though owning three horses has been a struggle and Henry has the most re-sale value (for the warmblood factor) I haven’t been able to sell him, despite a few interested parties.   I have this funny gut feeling that owning Henry is my second chance to right the wrongs done to Blue in his life.   Blue was not treated with kindness for most of his life and there was a sweet sensitive horse underneath the crabby exterior that I got glimpses of. 

Last week I was entering Henry into allbreedpedigree and thought I would look at Blue’s lines again.  When I had Blue’s pedigree open I clicked into Henry’s TB lines.  And they are related.  Granted – it’s VERY distantly but I would be lying if I said I didn’t well up with tears.

I think it's pretty cool a very small piece of Mr. Blue lives on with Henry.  Miss you old man!

No comments:

Post a Comment