_

_

Thursday, 12 June 2014

Weight Issue

It’s been so wonderful to have some time with the horses these last few days. I’ve noticed since returning from the last clinic that Mystic is looking a bit heavier than I would like. She’s a Belgian X QH so she will never be a delicate flower.

She will never be this:


But I want to prevent this:


After reading this article (http://www.equinestudies.org/ranger_2008/ranger_piece_2008_pdf1.pdf) – I have decided to wait until age 4 to begin any undersaddle work. She was orphaned at a month old so I really want to give her an appropriate amount of time to grow. My plan is to start lightly ground driving her next summer and not start saddle training until she is 4.

So what the heck am I going to do with her to get the weight off? I don’t really want to do a lot of lunging either... I have decided to expand my scope as a crazy horse lady and start taking her for walks. The neighbours pasture across the road is about 2kms long and would make for a 4km round trip if I did the full length. Eventually I’d like to pony her from Apollo but he needs a bit more practice to feel comfortable about that (honestly he’s a bit afraid of her).


I am preparing myself for these kinds of looks as I take my horse for a stroll.


There isn’t a lot of great space to reduce her pasture intake. The options are pretty much huge pasture or dirt pen. The pasture has been shrunk down to 20 acres from about 80 acres, so the problem will self solve somewhat as the grass is eaten down. I’m going to take some pictures/measurements this week and will be trying to stay on top of this (as my nightmares don’t involve murderers or falling from a plane....my nightmare is dealing with a foundering horse!).

Any suggestions from cyberspace?

I guess it will be good for me to get some extra exercise too as I’m training for a 5km race on July 6th

“If you change nothing, nothing will change.” Anon

4 comments:

  1. I think hand walking her sounds like a good plan, for both of you. Maybe you could be the crazy horse lady who goes running with her horse instead of her dog? :) ...too crazy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm up for being the crazy horse lady who goes running with her horse! :) Actually I noticed yesterday her weight is already looking a bit better from the recent limitation of the pasture, so that's a good sign (less wacky behaviour required from me).

      Delete
  2. I totally LOL'd at the last two pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, the last one is my desktop display at work haha

      Delete