_

_

Thursday, 24 July 2014

Naked Dressage

So tonight I’ll be practicing my dressage test….bitless….with no saddle (hence my scandalous title!).  Not exactly my plan “A” but we will muddle through it.

I’ve been riding him in my sidepull (bitless) because his whole muzzle is kind of filthy/tender because of the sun.  He gets coated in sunscreen and zinc oxide (and occasionally cooperates in wearing his flymask) but he rubs a lot of it off so he still gets a bit burned sometimes.  I decided that I’m cool with riding in the sidepull for the time being as it gives him a break from carrying the bit and my bridle won’t get so filthy.  Probably about a week before our show (23 days!) I’ll do some rides in the bridle…as my sidepull isn’t allowed in competition.  He goes about the same in either!

On Tuesday night I realized that one of his large bug bites had been rubbed by the girth. :(  His hair was gone from that area and it looked like it was just starting to rub his skin.  I goobed it with SWAT (love that stuff) and gave him last night off.  The rub/bite is in such an awkward spot…. I’m going to have to ride bareback to avoid doing any further damage.  I’m on the hunt for a fuzzy girth cover in the meantime.

I have been feeling much better after my “off” Saturday barn visit.  I think the heat has drained all of Apollo’s  “misbehavior” energy (bonus).  I haven’t decided yet if I will attempt the riding test for interdressage now that I may be temporarily saddle-less.  It would be great to get a judges input before I step into the show ring.


Here’s my handsome man after our Tuesday night ride:

9 comments:

  1. that saddle looks so teeny on him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right?! It's a long flap too...! He actually looks the best in a western saddle.

      Delete
  2. The poor pet having such a lovely pink nose!
    He looks super - hope all his rubs & ouchies heal up asap and that you are feeling better too!
    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  3. He is so cute!! Sorry about his sore spots-hopefully those heal up quickly for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just found your blog and I'm so glad I did! What a handsome man you have :D

    ReplyDelete