_

_

Thursday, 17 July 2014

Wambulance

I've been starting and stopping writing this entry for the last few days.  Before I write the next...understand that I know I sound like a jerk.

I have been so pissed off at Apollo. 

He's a very high maintenance horse in the following ways:

1) He has pink skin all over his face, it burns pretty easily.

2) He is very sensitive to flies also.  He has gone through 4 fly masks just this spring/summer - and we're not done yet!  The latest one has lasted a month.

3) He has the most filthy sheath ever (I have to clean it almost monthly because it smells disgusting.  He doesn't take it out all the way to pee.) which leads to further bug attacks in that area because of the stinky-ness.  See #2 for how sensitive he is to bugs.

4) If I don't catch him and work him hard very frequently he will be hard to catch the next time.  He also pulls the hard to catch routine if he sees me walking towards him holding sunscreen/fly mask etc.

So he is high maintenance and non-cooperative!  A great mix!  He ripped his fly mask off for the second time this week when I was catching Henry on Tuesday.  When I picked it up he galloped off into the sunset.  SCREW YOU HORSE.  I decided to leave him alone for a few days because I was so mad at him.  I know....so rational...being mad at a horse.  I went to the barn last night to work with my young horses but let him be. 

And today I realized I was being a big whiner.  I'm so lucky to have him as my horse.  He is sound and sane undersaddle.  He is absolutely worth all of frustration he causes me sometimes.  Instead of eating my lunch at work I drove out and coated him in SWAT near his eyes and sheath, fly spray, and sunscreen.  He seemed slightly appreciative...maybe.  I needed to give myself some tough love and remind myself the kind of commitment I signed up for when I decided to be a horseperson (especially Apollo).



We're signed up for 4 interdressage classes this month so I need to get to work and stop it with the whining! :)



 

8 comments:

  1. sometimes we have to kick ourselves and remember how lucky we are to have these great horses in our lives :)

    Can totally understand how you're feeling though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I needed a kick this week, I was kind of a whiny mood haha :)

      Delete
  2. They really know how to push our buttons don't they? ;-)
    Yay on interdressage classes - hope you have a ball

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally! But I guess he wouldn't be him without his cheekiness :)

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad I have a mare and don't have to do the whole sheath cleaning thing! Sounds icky!

    I just sent in my first ever interdressage video! We did the practical horsemanship class - 7B. Loving this whole Interdressage thing! Showing without paying up the yin yang for hauling fees, show fees and stabling fees? Sounds good to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah sheath cleaning is noooo fun. My old gelding was good with a once a year cleaning (with his dental work) but Apollo is much more high maintenance. Yay for interdressage!

      Delete
  4. Sometimes I think they have fun torturing us!! But yes, we are quite lucky!

    ReplyDelete