_

_

Sunday, 20 July 2014

Wonderful/Scary Barn Day

I had a mostly wonderful day at the barn yesterday.  It got a little scary at the end. :(

Here's the wonderful: 

- I've been taking care of a friend's mare while she's in Italy (jealous!) and FINALLY her pastern laceration is looking like it's improving.  My instructions were just to clean it and it put various types of goop on it but it just kept getting so dirty and looking infected so I decided to wrap it.  Now it's starting to close up nicely, wooohoo!

- A friend of mine came to look at the barn as a potential boarder.  I'm not sure that it's the right fit for her but it was nice to catch up with her.  

- I didn't have to rush because I had nothing else going on!

- Henry came in and was a perfect gentleman with his hooves.  He's been testing me on this lately for some reason.  We also practiced going over tarps and pulling the wheelbarrow while he was lead for our practical horsemanship test we're going to do this month.  He was tentative but braver than I expected, especially with the tarp.


Here's the scary:

- After Henry was finished his practice exercises I started to feel very dizzy.  I figured I overheated a bit and just needed to sit down.  As soon as I sat I started having excruciating cramps in my stomach.  I started thinking: "OK this is not good.  I need to get Henry back out to his pasture and get home." But every time I stood up I started to pass out (my vision went black).  I don't get reception at the barn and I was alone at that time; so I had to wait until the pain subsided a bit.  With about a million stops and starts Henry made it back to his pasture and I came back into the barn.  I laid down on the ground for about 30 minutes and tried to get some texts through to my husband because I didn't feel safe to drive.  After a while I slowly walked to my car and called him as soon as I got reception.  He rushed out and picked me up.  By the time he got there I was feeling dizzy but back to normal.  It was a very strange scary feeling and I plan to see a doctor this week.  I think I likely just had heatstroke combined with an upset stomach.

I spent the rest of the day on the couch with this fellow, who took good care of me.




13 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh you poor thing. Hope you figure out what went wrong and can prevent it happening again.
    Scaresville!
    I hope you feel better asap

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words, it was very scary! I am feeling much better and plan to monitor a bit more closely my fluid/food intake...I think not eating a proper breakfast and not having any water were the culprit on Saturday.

      Delete
  2. Yikes! Hope you're feeling better and that it's nothing serious! Scary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was a pretty scary time. Although I was kind of thinking when I was lying on the floor...I'd rather die at the barn than anywhere else... which is morbid but true! :P

      Delete
    2. Oh that is funny. I betcha I would have thought the exact same thing had I been in that situation.

      Delete
  3. Oh no, that is scary when you are at the barn alone and feeling like that. Sounds like you were experiencing heat cramps in your stomach (an early sign of heat exhaustion). If you are doing a lot of work out in the sun, it is good to have some Gatorade or a sports drink around to replenish the salts in the body. A new learning from my First Aid class - didn't finish but I did learn something. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your suggestions, I did some research (googling) and I think you're absolutely right - I had heat cramps in my stomach and was suffering from early heat exhaustion. I've never heard of heat cramps before (never had them either) but I have fainted in the past in the heat. I am a delicate flower apparently!

      Delete
  4. Scary stuff!! Glad to hear you are feeling better!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm going to be more careful in future. I was really impressed at how patient Henry was...considering he's a youngster. He seemed confused but was happy to walk at a snails pace back to his pasture.

      Delete
  5. Scary, glad to hear you're ok!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) I'm happy that I was able to get a hold of my husband to help. I plan to stock the barn fridge with gatorade... :)

      Delete
  6. LOL Yeah, that's morbid, but would probably be where I'd want to die too!

    I've never heard of heat cramps before! I'm like you - so delicate in the heat. I get pounding headaches and can get nauseous, but never had cramps.

    Glad you're feeling better! Henry should get some extra treats for taking care of you!

    ReplyDelete