_

_

Thursday, 21 August 2014

Big Changes

As I mentioned previously - I have been shopping for an eventing barn to move Apollo to for the winter.  I had one in mind but made a few calls on others as well.  I saw a barn on Monday night and decided the next morning that I was going to go for it.  I paid a small deposit and booked a hauler – Apollo makes his big move on September 28!  Woohoo!

There are certainly some pros and cons to the new facility.  Mainly the con is that it is farther away and potentially my herd would be at two facilities (which is quite annoying).  

If I could have made a list of everything I could want in a barn, my current barn would tick off almost everything on that list.  It’s a short commute, it’s very quiet, and the horses have a lovely large field.  Also the price is very reasonable for boarding 3 horses.  But… some events in the last week have made me debate bringing my whole herd to the new facility.  

It’s a private facility and they don’t really want boarders and certainly don’t cater to them.  Which is usually fine with me, I do my own thing and I try really hard to be low maintenance.   I did need to move Apollo into the diet pen this week as he is still NQR and I suspect the extra chub is the culprit.  I wasn’t really treated in a friendly and respectful way when I politely brought this up.  I am SO SICK of tip-toeing around and feeling unwelcome.  At least a real “boarding facility” I would be a client and would hopefully be treated with more professionalism and respect.  There are a few other things I don't really want to get into.

At this point I’m about 90% decided to bring my young horses with Apollo to the new barn. 
It’s really bittersweet for me because I took my wedding photos at my current barn and have enjoyed so much of my time there.  I still have 10 days until the end of the month to make up my mind (I haven’t given notice yet).  I’m kind of shell-shocked from this week; I can’t believe that I’m quite likely leaving my barn for good.

I'm trying really hard not to make a rash decision out of recent frustration.  I want to make a smart move in the best interests of my horses (and myself!). 

Also saw this....love it!



14 comments:

  1. Big decisions are always hard. I am sure you will do what's best for you & your fab herd ♡

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait until I have my own acreage....then I will never have to go through this again! :)

      Delete
  2. Congrats on finding a barn! I've been there with the private owner thing...in fact I'm there again! Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! My current place just isn't working for me anymore. :(

      Delete
  3. Moving is hard. Sorry you have to make such a decision. Environment is surprisingly important when it comes to horses and riding. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Environment is so important! This week I was starting to feel a bit of dread about even heading out to the barn, which isn't cool. I wish the new place wasn't so far away.

      Delete
  4. Agreed that moving barns is almost always hard. Sounds like you're thinking about it the right way though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is such a pain! If the knew barn was closer it would be an easier decision for me.

      Delete
  5. Big decision. Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Leaving doesn't mean you can't still cherish the wedding photos or any of the other fun times there. In fact, leaving before you get too burned out there will help you keep positive feelings and relationship with the place and the people. Sometimes people stay, waiting for a situation to get worse before moving. Invariably, that means the situation *will* get worse, which is not fun for anyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're totally right!

      I have definitely made the error in the past of hoping things get better and trying to wait it out, only to have things decline further...then I'm left scrambling. My mind is pretty much made up at this point.

      Delete
  7. Moving barns is hard. But it's worth it if you are going to be happier in the long run.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope a whole herd move will be worth it. I think instruction and some barn friends would be awesome...I hope that's what I find at the new place.

      Delete