_

_

Sunday, 24 August 2014

Odds & Ends

This is random smattering of things that have happened in the last few weeks, things that are happening soon and things that happened this weekend.  It's kind of non-linear and I apologize - just trying to get everything down before I forget! 

First off, I have officially decided to move my whole herd to the new facility.  I’m really looking forward to a change of scenery and in my heart I feel this is best decision for my herd. :)

One decision I've been thinking on solved itself!  I currently work Saturdays at a dressage barn which I had been debating leaving.  I love it but…. Saturday is a lesson day at my new barn and I’d like to take Mystic to some of the Obstacle Challenge Days coming up which also occur on Saturdays.  I was planning to discuss switching with the Sunday girl but out of nowhere I got a text yesterday.  The Sunday girl was just given a horse and would like both days to help cover the costs of her new horse.  I will still fill in sometimes but I won’t be written in stone into every Saturday anymore.  I also worked with the trainer’s assistant last weekend and I wouldn’t mind hauling over for lessons with her sometime.  And she teaches on…Saturdays!  So I work my last shift next weekend and then the weekends belong to my herd exclusively.  I worked both days at the dressage barn this weekend and was able to spend some time with an old friend.  He's retired now but I used to groom this handsome fellow for my boss.  He's kind of crabby but he wormed his way into my heart big time.  It was pretty special for me to spend some extra time with him since I won't be around him much anymore.

Look at that face! <3


Time for NOMS

Here's my old friend in his prime
 

Also - I took an awesome first aid course at the beginning of August!  I will likely do a more in depth post in future as I’m currently building my first aid kit and taking baseline vitals (respiratory and temperature) for my herd.  I learned a lot and am happy to have a little handbook in case of emergencies….just in case I forget something!

I recently signed up to ride in a physiotherapy clinic at the dressage barn in November.  I have mild scoliosis and other weird pain/non-straightness issues following a car accident in 2008.  I am excited to get some insights and suggestions into how I can improve my riding.

I’m also taking a barefoot trimmer course in September as well.  My horses have good strong hooves with no major issues.  I think it’s financially smart to figure out how to do some simple trimming myself.  Also because my schedule can be so strange I can save myself the stress of trying to book appointments (which can be very challenging for me). 

Saving the wonderful news for last – as of today Apollo is finally 100% sound!  He is back out in the pasture and was cantering around today.  He looked wonderful and I’m so happy his week of torture in the diet pen straightened him out.  He was 95% sound and a week of dieting brought him the rest of the way.  I’m so freaking excited to get some real riding in this coming week.  I am grateful he's out of there because the mud dreadlocks on his feathers were pretty disgusting The diet pen got pretty muddy with all the rain last week, the pasture isn't nearly as bad.

Ew.  Just ew.
 
New cute coat!


 

13 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your sound pony! Yay!
    All your classes sound interesting, but I can't wait to hear more about the physiotherapy clinic as I have "moderate to sever" soliosis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I get some good tips, I do still have some pain...much better than before though.

      Delete
  2. Yay! What big plans! We are also entering into barefoot trimming. Hooves look so good! It is nice to take on that extra element of care and responsiblity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping it will help me save a bit of moolah! And it's probably just a good skill to have :)

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. He's a little too sound, he was feeling quite cheeky on Wednesday night haha

      Delete
  4. Moving is always nerve-wracking, but exciting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope I made a good call...time will tell :)

      Delete
  5. You have a lot going on! I think that it's great you are learning all of these new things and hope the move goes well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) My plate is definitely a bit full at the moment

      Delete
  6. First aid, trimming & physiotherapy clinics all sound awesome and like things i would love to do but don't know of in my neck of the woods.
    Would love to hear more about them as they happen if you feel like indulging me ;-)
    LOVE the rain sheet on Apollo!
    Best of luck with the move

    ReplyDelete