_

_

Tuesday, 12 August 2014

The Great Dog Escape

I have been a bit MIA over the last week.  I had a very stressful day last Thursday and now I'm finally getting pen to paper (or fingers to keyboard) to catch up on some blog reading and writing.

I got a call from my husband at about 12:45pm at my desk last Thursday.  It started off with "Don't be alarmed but....".  I was sufficiently alarmed. Next I heard: "the latch on the gate broke and the dogs got out of the yard".  I hung up the phone and ran to my car and speeded home like a maniac.

We live in a very scary location to lose a dog.  There are two major roads nearby and many wild jackrabbits to lure dogs away from home.  When I arrived home I grabbed two leashes and hit the pavement.  I walked down the path the dogs and I usually go on our daily walks.  When I had no luck there I headed home to grab my phone that I had foolishly left in my car.  I called bylaw, my mom, and one of my best friends (who shared the dogs photo on social media for me).  And back out searching I went.

I like to think of myself as staying pretty calm and steady under pressure.  But I was completely unglued.  Molly has pretty good recall (whereas Toby...not so much) so I mostly walked around calling her.  After I had called her about 5 times I would burst into tears.  I was really touched by the kindness of strangers in my neighborhood who helped me look or gave me suggestions/kind words.  I'm pretty sure if someone came up to me sobbing I would be a bit uneasy, I was lucky to meet with such nice neighbors on my dog hunt. 

My brain was running every worse case scenario.  They were hit by a car.  They were attacked by a larger dog.  Toby bit someone (Toby is a very crabby dog who is not allowed offleash...ever, because he has some behavioral issues).  I was so afraid that I would never see Molly again or hear her howl with excitement about something. 

My husband found them after about 3.5 hours of searching.  They were about two minutes from our house in an alley we had both checked multiple times!  My mom came all the way from out of town (on her birthday) to help us and she arrived just as they were found.  Best. Mom. Ever.

Molly had very sore paws (from all the frolicking around on gravel/pavement) and could barely walk for two days following their great escape.  She is all better now :)  My in-laws visited us on the weekend and installed a hardcore new gate latch that no critter will ever escape from again.

I am beyond happy to have my pups back! (no pictures of Toby...it is almost impossible to take a good picture of a solid black dog)

Tired Molly after her big adventure..sooo tired.
 Love you pup.

9 comments:

  1. Glad to hear that they were alright. That's always scary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was awful but it turned out OK in the end :)

      Delete
  2. I would have had a meltdown! So happy they were found safe and sound!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally did! I'm so sorry to hear about all your health issues, hope you are on the mend soon :)

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks! My eyes hurt from crying for days...I was such a mess!

      Delete
  4. How scary! I'm glad you found them and they are [relatively[ no worse for the wear

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you found them, how scary.

    ReplyDelete