_

_

Wednesday, 24 September 2014

Adventure in the Desert

I got home on Monday night at about 1am from my desert adventure.  I left last Friday and it was an absolute whirlwind.  My husband has competed 3 times in the Silver State Classic (in Ely, Nevada) as a driver with his dad as his navigator.  His dad couldn’t make it this time so he asked me.  The navigator job is pretty simple, you really just keep track of the times to make sure you are on pace.  Todd and his dad did well in the past but never made it into the top 3 (if you do, you get a trophy).  I don’t really like to drive fast, I’m kind of bad at math and I tend to get a bit frazzled under pressure.  I feel like I’m kind of a poor navigator choice - but....I decided to go for it.  We did the 105 mph class.

Our wheels



There were a lot of delays the morning of the race.  Sadly there was a fatality in one of the higher speed classes.  The weather was a bit iffy as well.  Todd drove the course perfectly and we worked well as a team adjusting meeting our time targets.  By my stopwatch our finishing time was 51.25.82 (51 minutes, 25 seconds and 82 milliseconds) and our goal time was 51.25.7.  I thought that was pretty darn good but I had no concept of how close other teams usually get.  

Off we went to the awards banquet in Las Vegas.  And drum roll....

We won!

Me and my first place navigator plate!

My dad won his class too, along with many others on our team.  For the first time ever the team won first place as well – which is awesome!

The next day Todd treated me to some horse shopping at WC Equestrian.  It’s a huge store with some great sale items and also some higher end stuff.  I got a winter blanket for Henry (50% off booyah), a groovy new mane comb, a cute key chain and t-shirt. 


I’m happy to be home and back into my routine (because I am a giant square).  

I have my first lesson at my new barn today :)

6 comments:

  1. OK, you're officially the coolest person ever :) Sounds like a super fun trip, and congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Congrats! That is really cool. Nice reward too.

    Have fun at first lesson!

    ReplyDelete
  3. woo hoo - congrats on the win, sounds like a lot of fun for you and the whole team! looking forward to hearing about your lesson too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woah that is super cool! Hope the new barn is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seriously though, you're awesome! Congrats! I hope that the lesson goes well :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! That's is so cool!! Congrats on the win!!

    Good luck at the lesson! Don't forget to have fun. Can't wait to hear all about it!

    ReplyDelete