_

_

Friday, 26 September 2014

Lesson :)

I was definitely nervous leading up to my lesson on Wednesday  I haven’t ridden a horse besides Apollo in probably 5 years.  I haven’t ridden had any riding instruction in almost 4 years.

And it was awesome!

I rode a lovely TB mare who was very quiet and forgiving.  We did lots of rider stretches to start off with.  My instructor, SP, gave me a lot of positive feedback about my riding.  My position is correct and she even said my two-point was good.  My two-point probably had cobwebs on it….the last time I actually jumped Apollo in a serious way was probably 2008.  My stirrups were a lot shorter than usual so I kept putting my heels down too much, I think I probably have been riding with my stirrups too long for years.   The instructor was positive and fun, but gave me lots of things to work on.  She also told me that I’m waaaay too hard on myself. 

I did lots of two-point practice in the trot and then popped over 5 fences (*gasp*).  And I didn’t die.  I also didn’t lose my balance or catch my lovely lesson horse in the mouth, which I was pleased about.  My instructor left and told me to cool out the mare outside.  It was nice to have a little preview of the outdoor riding at my new digs.  I’m also a bit in love with the mare I rode!

Look at that sweet face (she is also for sale, this is from her ad)



I am so happy with my decision to move to this barn!   I feel confident with lots of help from my awesome new instructor, SP, Apollo and I will be ready to event next summer :)  

I have a new phone (that doesn’t have a horrible cracked screen) and I hope to get some pictures and videos to share from future lessons.

9 comments:

  1. sounds like an awesome lesson - and that mare is adorable! glad you're settling in well and that the barn is meeting your expectations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg this made me happy to read. I can relate, but still looking for right fit trainer wise.

    She is cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! So glad the lesson went well:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad that the lesson went well and that you like the new place!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to hear you like your new place and instructor. Sounds like a nice lesson and the mare is adorable. I'll bet she had as much fun as you did. Your instructor is probably right about your being too hard on yourself. Just enjoy riding and don't over think everything.

    ReplyDelete
  6. there's nothing like a good lesson to get you motivated. That mare is sweet.
    After a few years of no lessons I'm finally get back into it too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a great confidence building lesson! Good work. Love the horse, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a great ride! :) She's a cutie!

    ReplyDelete