_

_

Wednesday, 17 September 2014

Surprise Vet Day & Other Goings On

Well... I had planned to have Mystic and Henry's teeth checked in about 6 months.  But when Mystic had a sunburn on her nose on Sunday (after not burning all summer), I was kind of worried.  I had flashbacks to Apollo's alsike clover toxicity episode so I thought I'd rather be safe than sorry.  Apollo burned his face so badly when that happened that the vets weren't sure the hair on his face would ever grow back.  So I'm a bit trigger happy about random sunburns.

Here it is:

Poor pony :(


The vet said she's seen a lot of these types of burns after the recent snowstorm and she can't figure out why.  She said to treat like a sunburn (I am expert level 115 at treating/preventing equine sunburns usually) and assured me she was pretty certain it wasn't alsike toxicity.  I also couldn't find any alsike clover in their pasture.

I had to cancel my first lesson at my new barn for my vet appointment today but I have rescheduled it to next week.  I'm a combination of excited/nervous about that!

On the weekend Henry wore a saddle and walked over a tarp like it was no big deal.  He's gotten a bit pushy lately and we've been having some "conversations" about that.  I'm starting to brainstorm how to help him have a better winter this year, he seems to have a heck of time not looking like a skeleton in the winter!



I got a few good rides in on Apollo too!

Note the snow!  A little different from my last outdoor ride!


I forgot my lungeline outside, somewhere under this snowpile....



I've been feeling so tired lately and I can't seem to sleep enough to feel rested.  So I apologize if this post makes no sense or if I leave nonsense comments on the blogs of others!  :P

10 comments:

  1. That poor nose! New barn jitters, hope the lesson is awesome. Don't be nervous, stick with excited. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it looks so sad :( I'm trying to focus on being excited, hopefully it will last until next Wednesday.

      Delete
  2. omg it's way too early for snow!!!! ugh.... hope your pony's burn heals quickly and enjoy your first lesson!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The last few days have been super hot so the snow is all gone again, what a weird weather year! :)

      Delete
  3. Oh ouch! So sorry, Mystic. My Paj has a big white nose, so you have my sympathy. I do sunscreen x2 a day, but he's had crusty spots on occasion. Poor guys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel so bad for them :( This is the first time she's burned all year, it's so strange.

      Delete
  4. Ouch! That sunburn looks awful (and I should know, I get one like that at least once year, just to remind me what sunscreen is for hehe)! Glad his burn wasn't anything serious though.

    Good luck with the move to the new barn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the palest person ever so I burn quite a bit myself :P

      Thanks for the luck, only 5 days to go!

      Delete