_

_

Sunday, 5 October 2014

First Week at the New Barn

I admittedly did not have a great first two days at my new barn.  I decided to give it a week and if I was still miserable I'd move. 

It seems to be going much better for me now (thank goodness).  Lots of things have been going on in the last week so I'll just do a quick re-cap.


Sunday:  Arrived at new barn.  Prickly reception. 



Monday: First evening at new barn.  Fireworks.  Feeling very unwelcome. (I have to admit that I may have been slightly PMSing this day).  I totally cried to my husband for like 30 minutes!



Tuesday:  There was a lose bull on the driveway.  Rode outside (foolishly) as the bull was herded with fireworks/something that sounded like fireworks.  Footing in the outdoor arena was very soggy and walked only.  One of the stablehands didn't show up so I helped with turn-in and taking off blankets.  Mystic has a lot of eye discharge (I called the vet and booked a tentative Thursday appointment). 


 

Wednesday:  Bull still on the driveway.  Freak snow storm when I'm at the barn.  Put a sheet on Apollo but cannot find Mystic in her pen (due to blizzard).  Decide to leave before roads get worse.

Thursday:  Bull still present on the driveway.  I have named him Fred.  Mystic sees the vet today and has conjunctivitis.  She is given drops and antibiotics.  Chatted with a few other boarders today.



Friday: Bull is absent.  Quick visit to give Mystic drugs.  Met a friendly staff member and let Mystic play in the arena.



Saturday:  Bull remains absent.  Farrier is out for all three horses (Henry is at the other facility). And I had an equine bodyworker/chiropractor out for Apollo because he was feeling kind of funny on Tuesday.  Apollo's pelvis was dropped on the right and rotated.   I had Mystic checked as well and she was a bit out also.  I met the girl I will be sharing lessons with.  She seems very young but is super nice. :)


I'm happy I stuck it out.  I'm a bit drained from the extra driving and my back has really been bothering me.   I hope to get my lesson schedule figured out soon and will have some actual riding pictures!

14 comments:

  1. I'm so glad that it's getting better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've been a busy bee, am glad things are looking up at the new barn. Hope your back feels better soon & that all goes well nailing down a lesson schedule ☺

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds a bit better! A bull, snow, fireworks!?!! What a week. Hope this week is good and gets even better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww Fred. Silly bull. Sounds like things are on an upswing though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad things are better! The first barn I boarded at on the prairies had a random steer in the driveway all spring and summer - he was able to jump the fence apparently!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I( bet the bull was unsettling but glad its looking up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never actually seen a bull hanging out in a driveway but it had to be something you'd do a double take on. Glad you met some nice people, there are bound to be more. Hope the eye clears up quickly and things continue on the upswing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i'm glad you're feeling better about the place. good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay! Sounds like things are back on track!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad it's going better! I know I also had a hard time when I moved Jazz from the rescue to her boarding stable, especially because you couldn't come to the rescue without at least the rescue owners being there. I found it very lonely to be at this new place where I rarely saw another person, and if I did, it was usually one of us leaving as the other came in. Once I got accustomed to the different pace it got a lot easier, and I found I really enjoyed that it was closer to me and the hours were more flexible. I'm going to send virtual hugs and lots of good vibes your way!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad things are getting better there. It does sound like a lot going on!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So glad things are starting to turn around. Having a loose bull for several days seems odd.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just love that picture of the little dog having a "ruff" day. Yesterday, I felt exactly like that little feller looks ... ruff :-(

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad things are looking up at the new barn. I hope it has continued the past week, too!

    ReplyDelete