_

_

Friday, 24 October 2014

Going Left


One of my friends on facebook shared this the other day:




I am definitely going left right now! :) 

The re-schedule of my mountain training clinic turned into such a mess.  I was 10 days out from going and even after multiple requests I had no information or where to go, what time to arrive, what to bring etc....You know - the important Ws of a clinic!  So I asked for a refund.  I don’t have a truck/trailer so I have rely on the kindness of family and friends or rent a truck/trailer.  I can’t be 10 days out from something and have no details.  

The outfitting company agreed to refund my deposit.  They have been INCREDIBLY slow in doing so but overall they seem apologetic about the lack of communication/generally sucking at being business owners.  I am very wary of doing a future clinic with them and will not be recommending them to anyone either.

My hoof trimming re-schedule (because of the massive snow storm) didn’t work out either due to my work schedule.  :(

Now Apollo is a bit foot sore because he was waiting for me to do the clinic and got left longer than usual between trims.  He has also done something funny to his back (he had a funny stumble when he was getting up from a roll the other day and he hasn’t been quite right since then).   I’m working on getting a bodyworker out to help him out but it seems everyone is booked up until November.

So here is my little list of “What Do When Your Horse Is Off”:

1)      Groom the sh*t out of him.  Apollo might be a little sore but he looks very dapper and tidy.
2)      Try some new products.  I’m trying this Hooflex stuff that is supposed to be a hoof hardener.  It was on sale and also makes his feet look fancy.

3)      Join a rider fitness group.  My new barn has a session of rider fitness training starting the first weekend in November.  This will be a fun way to work on my fitness and make some friends.
4)      Research nutrition, maintenance, and alternative therapies for the herd.  I’ve been spending a lot of time doing this.  I’ve been brainstorming maintenance ideas for Apollo (recovery EQ and back on track products when I can afford it....maybe next month) and nutrition/alternative therapies for Henry (I have an osteopath coming in early November and have made some adjustments to his daily meal). 
5)      Hang out with horsey friends.  I had a epic 3 hour dinner with an old high school/horsey friend on Tuesday of this week.  It was so nice to catch up and talk horses.  This weekend two of my friends are coming out to meet Apollo and Mystic.

I really miss riding right now, but I'm trying to stay busy...hopefully things start going right now. :)

And holy crap, Back on Track stuff is so pricey!  This is me right now as I'm reading the pricelist from the rep:

10 comments:

  1. what a bummer about the clinic and apollo's soreness. hopefully the body worker can work some magic. also - that's really cool about the new barn's fitness group, enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the fitness program isn't too intense...I'm waaay out of shape right now!

      Delete
  2. Hope Apollo is feeling better soon! Sounds like you made a smart decision re the clinic as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) I"m dying to ride him!

      Delete
  3. wow that clinic sounds very disorganized. I think you made the right decision. I'm looking forward to your opinion on the hoof spray- I have a horse with thin soles and generally poor feet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a mess, I still haven't gotten my deposit back. I'm really disappointed about that whole thing :(

      Delete
  4. I hope Apollo feels better soon, hanging out with horsey friends is a good alternative to riding when we can't. Sure beats moping ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got to have a few bellinis as well - yum :)

      Delete
  5. I like #5! Friends help everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! I feel like I don't have much of a social life so it was nice to talk to someone who will talk back and not just check my pockets for carrots. :P

      Delete