_

_

Saturday, 8 November 2014

Clipping Debacle & Final Twopointober Time

Apollo was clipped on October 31st by a friend of mine. I opted for a “low trace clip” after much research (read: googling). I decided to leave his neck though, as I have many blankets for him but none of them have neck attachments.
I have never clipped one of my horses before so the whole clipping thing is new to me. I feel like he gets sweaty just walking into the indoor arena. Since I’m planning to take lessons and riding a fair bit this winter I thought it was the right thing to do. I’m happy to blow dry him for hours on end but I thought this would be better for both of us. Since his haircut the temp has been between -5 and +3 for the last few days/nights. I figured the very light rainsheet would do the trick. But he sweated through it. Twice. It was was colder on Sunday and it snowed so I figured he would definitely need it that day - nope! Sunday night I blowdryed him for the second time and turned him back out naked. The temperature in my car said it was +1. I am kind of feeling like the worst horse owner ever! I have just been leaving him naked but I will be putting a different (hopefully more breathable) rainsheet on him tonight as the forecast is calling for freezing rain.
Also, last Saturday we did our last twopointober time. It was at a walk but my time was 5 minutes and 1 second. I’m pretty proud of my increase! I think I will keep working on this in future months :) Thanks L. for a great contest!

8 comments:

  1. NP! My horse has been sweating up a storm! Been leaving him absolutely naked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. B&w says, wut? I make this sexxxie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got a new phone that lets me fiddle the colors! I'm enjoying it a bit too much :P

      Delete
  3. nice clip - it's conservative enough that you can take off more hair later if needs be (always a nice option), but perhaps the more breathable sheet will help too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the sheet helps tonight... freezing rain...ick. If he sweats through again I don't know what I'll do!

      Delete
  4. You'd be a bad horsemama if you left him I'm the sheet & he was too hot. You can only do your best by them and it sounds like Apollo prefers being "au natural" lol
    He does have a nice thick coat and plenty of it left, he may not want ruging until it gets colder ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I won't be clipping him again! But it's so cold now I think he's happy to have a coat on :)

      Delete