_

_

Sunday, 30 November 2014

Two Post-Injection Rides

My instructions from the vet after Apollo's injections were as follows;

1) 4-5 days off post-injection
2) Ride for two weeks (lightly) to assess if the injections helped
3) If there is improvement seen then ride lightly for one month

I had my first post-injection ride on Thursday night.  I wasn't expecting much.  He has still seemed quite sluggish on the ground.  Whenever we've in and out of gate he still tries to avoid pivoting his hind end.  And on Thursday he seemed to be in a bad mood.  He was extra sluggish about walking to the arena and then had all kinds of energy to be a turd at the mounting block.  I would normally think he was being a jerk but I was worried he was trying to tell me that he was in pain.

That aside it felt wonderful to be riding my horse again.  I decided to ride on the buckle to let him sort out how his body was feeling.  His walk felt lovely.  He never really felt "off" to me at the walk but it felt a little extra nice.  When I asked for a trot....ugh.  It was ugly.  I felt his back tense up and he took the tiniest choppiest steps.  I let him come back to a walk.  But after his first ugly trot he randomly wanted to trot some more.  I let him move out as he wished and tried to just be a quiet passenger as I assessed his movement.  He had some ugly moments and some nice feeling moments.  He felt crooked (which is normal but needs work too) more than in pain after the first trot attempt.  After our brief ride he yawned a lot and was licking his lips a lot.  Maybe that's a good sign?

That was also my first ride in my newly re-flocked saddle.  I'm happy with the fit but I wish I wasn't trying two new things at once (injections and re-flock).  If he has issues it kind of muddies the waters as to which is the culprit.  Oh well!  I started giving him Recovery EQ + HA this week and am still saving up for Back on Track stuff.

On Saturday I went for a ride after work.  His demeanor changed completely.  When he saw my car coming down the driveway he walked to the gate to meet me (heart melting!).  He seemed to have an easier time pivoting his hind end as we went in and out of gates.  The arena was freeeeezing.  I decided to ride him in a cooler with my bareback pad on top and just in the side pull.  I only rode at a walk but he felt wonderful and was much more willing.  I am feeling hopeful but still a bit guarded about his soundness.

Good pony waiting at the gate for me!

Blurry B&W of us yesterday (in our serious equestrian attire...not so much)

Cute photogenic ponykins


We've had a crazy cold snap this weekend.  This morning was -32. Brr!  I worked at the dressage barn both mornings and I'm so tired from being out in the cold.  Today I am also hungover from my husband's Christmas party last night... After a nap I will be out at the barn again today :)

Bundled/dirty Henry

Mystic's new winter coat is this spiffy pattern (phone died before I took a pic of her wearing it)

Even barn helper dogs are bundled up for the cold!

12 comments:

  1. That's some seriously cold weather!

    Apollo is just so cute meeting you at the gate. I think as long as you ride him lightly he will be fine. Walking for a long warm up will probably help before asking for a trot. He will let you know if he doesn't feel well enough yet to do it. Good luck and stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Our cold weather has lifted a bit for a few days :)

      Delete
  2. With the weather over the past few days being so crappy it could also be effecting his joints. Bad joints are way more susceptible to weather related woes. I know my mare requires a solid 15 minute walk warm-up when it's cold before I can even think about trotting. Also, all the snow is making them work harder out in the pasture then they normally have to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that the cold weather is definitely making it worse. Poor guy. I guess on the bright side he's not walking around in mud around his injection sites.

      Delete
    2. By the way, are you at East Acres?

      Delete
  3. i've got my fingers crossed for you and Apollo! hopefully that first ride was just a result of him working out some stiffness from being out of work and the weather, and maybe it'll continue to improve? anyways, stay warm and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am hoping to ride again tonight... fingers are very crossed!

      Delete
  4. I hope that the injections help Apollo! I've noticed with some of our horses, that they are a little sore up to a week after the injection and that we usually don't notice a significant improvement until about ten days after. It doesn't really surprise me when I think about needles in the joints. Ouch! So fingers crossed that the joint was just sore from the intrusion of the needle that first day back being ridden. Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was pretty gross watching the injections happen! He seems to have improved a bit so far but not really as much as I'd hoped.

      Delete
  5. Eurgh snow, I don't envy you the cold. Riding attire be damned, stay warm!!!!
    Keeping everything crossed on injections working

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely have been riding in snowpants quite a bit hahaha :)

      Delete