_

_

Sunday, 14 December 2014

Blood, Sweat and... Dressage

I had another lesson at the dressage barn on Friday.  It was tough!   I stubbed/broke at least one toe when I was walking out the door so the evening didn't have a great start. 

During my first lesson I got a sense of sizing for 10 meter, 15 meter and 20 meter circles.  I do a lot of 20 meter-ish circles with Apollo but I was quite rusty on the sizing/feel of the 10 and 15.  On Friday we started working on the circles being more precise and having correct bend.  HAH!  My body was not cooperating with me at all.  Eventually we muddled through it and things improved, but it was hard work! 

It is so strange riding a non-Apollo horse.  My lesson horse, Jazzy, is an Arab X.  The departure from a Clyde X to and Arab X is obviously huge!  Apollo has a lovely marching walk.  Jazzy's walk is much smaller and slower so it always feels like she isn't really moving forward enough (but she is, thank goodness for eyes on the ground).  Their trots are more similar and thank goodness Jazzy is almost as easy to sit as Apollo. 

I have no photos/videos (again) because my instructor was mounted for most of the lesson and I put my phone near her chair (and promptly forgot about it). 

But I do have this adorable dressagey cartoon:



Although my last lesson was definitely more challenging I did get a nice compliment from my instructor, B.  She said that my sitting trot is lovely and told me that I have a great natural seat.

 I am hoping to have some good news to report on Apollo soon, but for the moment things are still up in the air.

Tomorrow is the last day for my Spirit of the Season Blog Giveaway. Enter here ! :)


10 comments:

  1. Why are stubbed toes so much more painful than nearly anything? For that halfmillisecond anyway...

    Awesome lesson! Photos are a must next time tho!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stubbed toes are THE WORST! I think I broke the middle one on my left foot. Boo :(

      Yes pictures definitely need to happen. Pictures and videos really help me as a learning tool!

      Delete
  2. Dressage lessons can be nearly as painful as stubbed toes. But a lot more fun :) Fingers crossed hard for Apollo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your crossed fingers! I love taking lessons and learning, my heart kind of hurts that it's not with my boy.

      Delete
  3. I love the cartoon! glad that your lesson went well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fingers crossed for Apollo ♡

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope Apollo is feeling better soon. I can guess how different it feels going from Apollo to an Arab. I used to ride a 17.3 hand Dutch Warmblood and when I had to get on a Quarter Horse who was much smaller it was like riding a pony. Glad your lessons are going well. Videos are nice for learning tools but don't worry about it or it might take your mind off what you're doing in your lesson. Hope your toe is ok.

    ReplyDelete
  6. glad the lesson went well! idk why it is so hard and our bodies are so uncooperative at times... but it sure does feel great when everything clicks!

    ReplyDelete