_

_

Saturday, 6 December 2014

Dressage Lesson & Two Weeks Post-Injections

I had my first lesson at the dressage barn on a school horse (who was very kind and patient with me) last night.  The coach, B, is absolutely wonderful.  I will be taking lessons at 6pm on Fridays for the rest of December and I am really looking forward to it.

 My lesson horse after our ride, very sweet :)


Yesterday marked the two week mark since Apollo's fetlock injections.  The vet told me if things hadn't improved in two weeks then we needed to re-evaluate because they didn't work.  If they did work I was to continue riding him lightly for a month.

I headed over to ride my pony after my dressage lesson.  I have been doing a lot of handwalking and riding bareback at the walk but I decided I needed to put his saddle on and ask him to move around more so I could properly evaluate his current state of soundness.

After lots of handwalking followed by riding at a walk I asked for a trot.  He BUCKED three times and then bolted off into a canter.  I was riding him in the sidepull because he's been so quiet lately...that was a mistake!  He continued to be a nut for most of the ride and threw at least five more bucks into random places.  Eventually we were able to do some walk and trot transitions without Apollo being a maniac.  He felt sound....but he felt very crooked.  I'm not sure that my "light work" schedule for him has been enough.  Maybe I should have done more or less.... I'm not really sure.  It's hard to know if he was feeling really good so he was naughty or if he was feeling pain somewhere so he was naughty.

I had decided that the two week anniversary date of the injections would be my "decision day" for what our plan was.  I figured if he was sound then we'd continue working him towards my eventing goal.  If he wasn't sound he needed to come back to his old barn where he is closer (so feeding him his Recovery EQ is more convenient).

Now I'm not feeling like it's a very straightforward decision at all!  My plan now is to get the chiro/bodyworker back out to see if she can figure out his crookedness.  I'll keep riding him too (lightly) and if between some body work and increased activity we can't get him 100% then we will give our notice at the barn.

This crazy nut tried to kill me!



I rode him today around the hay field at a walk for about 30 minutes.  Oh yeah - and I put a bit in his mouth!  Crazy ponies need brakes!  He was awesome.  His walk felt lovely.  He seemed somewhat tired at the end, I think walking through some of the deeper snow was pretty hard work for him.  I think if he continues to feel sound this is a good thing to keep in our repertoire (weather permitting).  I had a lot of fun with my big pony.




I hope to have the chiro/bodyworker out very soon and will have a more definitive plan at that point! :)


16 comments:

  1. Love the photos, moar mirror selfies needed please! I can't be the only one cluttering the blogosphere with them ;-)
    Hope he is feeling good & not sore, will keep everything crossed for the chiro visit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm almost always alone at the barn, so there will pretty much only be mirror selfies! Many moar! :P

      Delete
  2. Glad you made it through your wild ride unscathed! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I was pretty surprised by my wild steed!

      Delete
  3. oh dear. He's not making it easy on you is he? could the saddle be pinching a bit?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He really isn't! I'm going to have the chiro/bodyworker check the saddle fit too I think :)

      Delete
  4. I guess it's hard to tell what he's feeling after those bucking antics. The walk outside sounds very nice though. I think continuing with them seems like a good idea. Good luck with the chiropractor. Hope it's good news.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! He's a very finicky creature apparently :)

      Delete
  5. Love his mane! Hope he takes to the light work and remains sound.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Me too, fingers crossed :)

      Delete
  6. good luck figuring it all out! hopefully the chiro will have some helpful insights. but perhaps we are cautiously optimistic? in any case, glad your lesson went well too! i kinda like riding a trainer's school horse for a first lesson since it allows the trainer to evaluate just *me* first, before needing to evaluate my horse too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cautious optimist is exactly where I'm at! :) I really enjoyed my dressage lesson, gave me lots to of "homework" for Apollo and I to chip away at.

      Delete
  7. Your balance must be good if you were surprised by the bucking/bolting and still stayed on! Nice work! Hopefully the chiropractor will have some good insight to help you decide what's next. Good luck!

    He's sure a furry guy isn't he! haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is super furry! It's kind of adorable :)

      I don't know how good my balance is but I'm sure happy I didn't take a tumble!

      Delete
  8. Hopefully the Chiro helps him and that he was wild because he felt oh so good after the injections. I'm glad you had a good dressage lesson!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope the chiro helps! Also think about osteopath. They do nerves and soft tissue eval and how things affect each other together.

    ReplyDelete