_

_

Thursday, 29 January 2015

Peace, Carrots & Moolah

I have really enjoyed reading Lauren and Carly's recent posts about horse-related money management....so here is mine!



I consider myself very lucky to have a lot of support from my husband (emotionally and financially) when it comes to the horses.  

I pay all the horse bills myself but he picks up the important bills at home to allow me to do that (ie the big stinky mortgage).  I currently work three jobs to help keep up with horsey bills (one full-time and two part-time).  I really only need to have one full-time job but whenever I try to downsize something expensive happens so now I'm kind of afraid. 

I think what works well about our current situation is that he feels free to spend money on his hobbies because he knows that I spend a fortune on mine.  And for our current child-free life that's just fine!  I have been trying to keep my purchases to necessity only and I have been slowly purging/selling things I don't use.  I also actually have an emergency savings account for the horses now that I went without for many years (very bad!).  I was the worst for many years about buying whatever I felt the horses needed but shorting myself on other important things (dental care, new shoes etc).

In the future the ideal version of my life is that we would live on an acreage and I would work part-time.  I am crossing my fingers for an acreage in 2016 :)

11 comments:

  1. It definitely helps when the SO has a hobby they can spend their own money on, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keeps him busy! :) He is also an excellent "groom" in the warmer months but in the winter...heck no.

      Delete
  2. sounds like you two have figured out a nice balance!! good luck getting that acreage :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man I would be in heaven if I had an acreage! :) :) :)

      Delete
  3. Your situation sounds a lot like mine! It's nice when something works, and not having real kids certainly makes it easier for us too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it sounds very similar! It sure works for us :)

      Delete
  4. It sounds like a great situation. Both parties having hobbies is definitely a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely, I have dated guys previously who would just mope around until I was done at the barn and that was super annoying.

      Delete
    2. I have dumped guys for their attitudes toward my addictions.

      Delete
  5. I am super blessed to have a signif other that also spends all his money on horses. So we split the horsey costs. I pay for the ones at home and he pays for the ones at the track and we split the hay bill. He does think I spend too much on tack but that's ok. He spends too much on shoes. No for real. It's bizarre. He's the kind of guy that understands how much I love to go for a ride on a nice day (he rides for a living at the track!) and will make time to clean the stalls for me so I can spend more time in the saddle. <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm lucky to have a very supportive husband as well :)

    ReplyDelete