_

_

Saturday, 7 February 2015

Gone Country

I made my final payment on Wednesday morning so I guess it's official.....

I'm the proud owner of a western saddle!  I purchased a used Circle Y Sheridan Trail saddle.  It has an 8" gullet and a 15" seat (so 17" in the English world).  It also has upgraded "softee" leather.  My hope is that it's a suitable fit for Apollo and if it's not perfect I can pad it up a bit.  Western saddles seem to fit him better - so I was happy to find one with an 8" gullet but a smaller seat size.  My husband also indicated he would be more interested to ride in a western saddle.  I thought it would be suitable for trail riding and would fit more people than my weird DK saddle (just in case other people would like to ride sometime!).

I have to give HUGE kudos to Melanie from Ride On Saddles.  She helped me find the perfect saddle and allowed me to make payments on it.  My saddle is from Ontario and will arrive in Alberta.  I would recommend her to anyone looking to get a saddle.  The selection is mainly western but there are few english options also.  Here is her website: http://rideonsaddles.blogspot.ca/

Here it is!!!:









My first exposure to the horseworld was definitely western - through my dad (and his cowboy friends).  I sort of know the gear (cinch, headstall....look at me go) but don't know anything about technically riding western.  My parents bought me an english saddle when I was little because I couldn't lift a big western saddle by myself.  Kind of rolled with the english thing from there.

I also had a pair of these awesome things before I got my little english saddle.  After a google search I learned they are called "buddy stirrups"...who knew.


Note, this is not me!





18 comments:

  1. I hope you have lots of fun riding in your new saddle and it fits lots of people and Apollo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fingers crossed for a good fit on Apollo, it just arrived yesterday and it fits my husband and I both nicely :)

      Delete
  2. nice - it looks like it's in great shape too!!! i hope it suits Apollo perfectly :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks even better in person! I sure hope it fits the big guy :)

      Delete
  3. I've dealt with Melanie of Ride On Saddles before - she is so great!! I never ended up buying a saddle from her but would recommend her to anyone! I had an old Circle Y that I adored - yours looks nice - hope you get a lot of miles out of it !! Western saddles are always nice to have around for long trail rides, hubbies and friends!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't she awesome? I'm so happy to hear that you had a circle y that you liked. I know pretty much nothing about western brands but the sizing sounded about right for Apollo and I.

      Delete
  4. Nice purchase! Wishing you well wear and many happy hours in it for you and friends ☺
    Ps thanks for the farrier tips, I try that too when I remember - but i need to be better about doing it to be honest *blush* consistency is key after all

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to juggle the multiple horses/work/life...sometimes the hoof handling is just not at the top of my priority list haha. I hope the saddle works out for us :)

      Delete
  5. Sometimes it's just nice to take a trail ride in a western saddle. I hope you have tons of fun with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I hope so too! Hopefully it fits my big guy :)

      Delete
  6. Looks like a nice saddle, enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It looks even nicer in person, just arrived last night :)

      Delete
  7. it's good to mix it up. I ride English sometimes and western others. and it's good for days you think you might need a little extra something to hold on to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that it's good to mix things up! Western will be better my husband for sure, more comfy/secure :)

      Delete
  8. That looks so comfortable! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I am so excited to try it out! :)

      Delete
  9. It looks like a nice saddle! Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm looking forward to trying it out soon :)

      Delete