_

_

Monday, 2 February 2015

Monday Bunday! Introducing Lucky

I’m just getting the ball rolling on my weird idea of Monday Bunday, so I'll be introducing my bunnies in the next two posts.

Introducing...Lucky!



I met Lucky when I was out walking my dogs in March 2011.  I saw him multiple times over the course of a week (but obviously I couldn’t go up to him because my dogs are nuts).

One day I came home from the barn (sans dogs) and saw him sitting near my parking spot.  I, of course, had a bag of carrots so I went up to him and gave him a carrot.  He happily scarfed it down.  At this point I figured he was someone's pet who has escaped from an outdoor hutch.  I noticed some red spots on his nose and on him bum, I was worried he had been injured by a cat/door/wild rabbit.
  



I have never been close enough to touch a rabbit before so I was kind of terrified of him.  I tried to catch him in a Rubbermaid tote....no joke.  When my husband got home we decided that I would herd Mr. Rabbit towards my husbands and then my husband would snag him.  It worked!
We put Mr. Rabbit in a cat kennel and made plans to bring him to the local SPCA so he could hopefully be reunited with his family.  There is a 10 day hold while they look for found animal’s homes through various sources.  After that if he wasn’t reunited with his family then he would go up for adoption.  

I called to check on him a few times and was sad to hear that no one had claimed him.  My last phone call was the day that the 10 day hold was up.  I had no intention of adopting him but a few of my friends with rabbits had expressed interest.  However....on that last phone call the vet tech disclosed to me that Mr. Rabbit had Rabbit Syphilis (aka Vent Disease).  He would be euthanized rather than risking sharing syphilis with the fairly large rabbit population at the SPCA.  The red dots I noticed on his face and bum were syphilitic lesions.  I offered to pay for the syphilis treatment...and if I did that would they let me adopt him?  Yep!  He was neutered as well and they aged him at around 3 years old.

We brought him home in April 2011.  He is now approximately 7 years old and I hope to share many more years with him.



Lucky’s Likes: Bananas, carrots, hiding in towels/blankets
Lucky’s Dislikes: Being surprised/cornered by strangers (he growled at my friend’s fiancé) and fruit or veggies that are not perfectly fresh (high maintenance bun is high maintenance)



He has been the perfect rabbit for someone who is terrified of rabbits!  He mostly just likes to sit around and has never once offered to bite me.  My husband did 100% of the rabbit handling for the first month or two and I slowly realized that Lucky was a pretty chill bun. :)

I took all these pictures tonight on Molly's new dog bed that my good friend made for her (it's fancy memory foam).  All the animals are obsessed with it! 

My fat cat joined him for a bit!

Thanks for sharing Molly!

29 comments:

  1. Aw how cute are all the furbabies on the memory foam bed?!
    What a story behind Lucky ' arrival in your life, he really was lucky you found him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's such a good bunny! I'm lucky I found one that was so calm and tame :)

      Delete
  2. Omg! So glad you picked him up! And adopted him! Buns do not get enough love. I fully support a regular monday bunday series! Bunny adventures ho!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! They are already loving the extra bit of attention :)

      Delete
  3. I fostered a bunny once and that was about the extent of my bunny owning stint - she was particularly high maintenance and actually pretty mean. While free-ranging she would attack my feet so I'd have to wear shoes. LOL. But I still loved her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My other rabbit gets a bit chargy about his food...and it scared the crap out of me! He's lucky he's cute haha

      Delete
  4. Aw, I love his little white foot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. cute bunny!! (even if he is high maintenance lol)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is definitely a high maintenance dude but I can't say no to that cute face and big ears. :)

      Delete
  6. All your pets are so cute! I support Monday Bundays 100%

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow htat is a cute story. I also didn't know that rabbits could get syphillis....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a surprise to me as well... he is cured now at least :)

      Delete
  8. Squee! Lucky Bun! Aren't house bunnies just the greatest? My two are highly entertaining and I can't imagine life without them. :-)

    P.S. - I'm going to join you on Monday Bunday next week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure love my little hoppers, can't imagine life without them either. Yes please join! Can't wait to see your bunnies :)

      Delete
  9. He is so dang cute! I love rabbits!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They are pretty darn adorable :)

      Delete
  10. How cute is heeeeeeee!!!!

    I have never really been around rabbits much, so I am more like previous-you... a little wary of them haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was such a wimp! Thank goodness for Lucky being such a sweetie :)

      Delete
  11. I didn't know that rabbits could growl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They sure can! Sounds kind of a like a cat but lower and quieter

      Delete
  12. My bun Amelia came to me in a similar fashion: I was walking home for work and there is a little birch glade on the way home and I saw this white bunny hanging out under the trees. I looked at her and thought, "You're not a wild rabbit." Then I walked up to her and kneeled down and held my hand out: she hopped up to me and sniffed my fingers so I picked her up and took her home.

    This was end of May in a college town: I believe that some student let her "go free" when they moved out . . . but she was a lovely bunny - not at all afraid of my cats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank goodness you found Amelia! :) I have no idea why people think they can set their rabbits free like that....so strange.

      Delete
  13. Only recently did I realize people kept bunnies as pets. I NEVER thought about that - and now I kind of want a bunny. Only I can't because of our dog. :(

    ReplyDelete