_

_

Tuesday, 3 March 2015

FMNM Blog Hop: The Fear

Thanks for the great blog hop from Four Mares No Money :) 




What has been the most fearful moment you have ever experienced with a horse?


I’ve had a few more scary moments than I’d like with horses but I will share my favourite one (because it had a happy ending).


Little back story first:

I had a horse named Rusty from when I was 13 to 15 year old.  He would turf me at random moments and was generally a sketchy horse under saddle (although he was lovely on the ground).  He was too much horse for me and that was really hard to see at the time but I can see it very clearly now.  He turned me into a very defensive/scared rider.  I never trusted him to go on a long rein and I was always on alert for anything he might use an excuse to fake spook so he could buck me off.  I eventually learned to stay on through his antics but to say I was terrified would be the understatement of the year.


Eventually my parents traded Rusty for an older TB gelding named Blue.  I rode him in a Pony Club camp as our trial period.  We did dressage in the mornings and “stadium” in the afternoon (stadium gets to be in quotes because it was in a hayfield with pylons on the gopher holes).  Blue was a gentleman throughout.  On the last weekend of camp we trailered over to a cross country course. 

We learned what “Roads and Tracks” was and were told to canter one at a time on this little track that went down a small incline and then back up a hill and back around to the group.  I just about crapped my pants.  Cantering alone in an open field felt WAAAAY out of my comfort zone.  But since I was even more afraid of my gruff Pony Club instructor I did as I was told. 

Blue remembered he was a thoroughbred and our canter quickly turned into gallop.  I had a vice grip on the reins and tears were flying off the sides of my face (from speed and fear!).  At some point I realized that although I was scared to death, I was safe.  I released my vice grip and enjoyed the ride.  

I did get in big trouble for having an incredibly speedy time on my Roads & Tracks.  But it was worth it1 That day marked the beginning of a wonderful friendship between Blue and I. :)



This is us that day :)




7 comments:

  1. Aw Blue!
    What a sweetheart

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww scary and happy all wrapped up in one story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh goodness that sounds scary! But it is nice to have a horse that you can trust even through the "sticky" times :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like Blue helped you out with some fear!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blue sounds like he was just what you needed to get your confidence back.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw, he was showing you not to be scared with him. And having funny. Good ending.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw that's a happy ending indeed! I love the feeling of realizing I can actually let go - so liberating!

    ReplyDelete