_

_

Sunday, 1 March 2015

Nutrition Mission

I confess - I have always felt overwhelmed by equine nutrition.  In recent years of social media sharing (ie. beetpulp hatespeech) and the boom in popularity of homeopathic and natural supplements…I am even more confused. 



After Apollo’s recent possible ulcer issue I decided that I needed an expert.  A few weeks ago I booked a consult with a local expert and I’m so happy that I did.  I had my appointment this morning and I’m pleased to report that I have a proper meal plan for my herd!

Apollo
Land & Sea Oil 30mls
1 Tablespoon of Table Salt
½ Cup of Aloe Vera Juice
1 Scoop of Equine Choice

Henry
Land & Sea Oil 60mls
1 Cup of Aloe Vera Juice
2 Tablespoons of Table Salt
1 Scoop of Equine Choice
5 CC of B12 for 3 weeks (March 4-25)

Mystic
Land & Sea Oil 20mls
1 Tablespoon of Table Salt
¼ Cup of Aloe Vera Juice
1 Scoop of Equine Choice

This will all be fed with a complete feed ration but I haven’t bought it yet so I don’t know the amounts for each horse right now.  According to the equine nutritionist the weather this year caused a lot of horses to have tummy troubles.  Henry and Apollo are both showing symptoms of ulcers.  As I precaution I will do the above-mentioned feeding schedule for 30 days for all three to get everyone sorted out.  Going forward the aloe vera juice will be slowly eliminated and the oil will be reduced.

I am a little jealous of horse owners who have someone else to feed their horse’s daily grain/minerals/supplements on a daily basis.  Because after my herd nutrition consult today…that person is going to be me! :)

7 comments:

  1. Hope the new feeding plan helps settle the upset tumtums after nasty winter...can you tell i hate winter?!
    Although I really shouldn't complain cos what we get is prob a good day for North America & Canada

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Winter is the worst! For some reason every year I am still surprised at how crappy it is. My horses get to wear cute blankets, that's one positive thing :)

      Delete
  2. Glad it was a good consult - hopefully you see positive changes after introducing the new diet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope it works out for them and they have positive results.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! :) The nutritionist was very helpful and knowlegable

      Delete
  4. I took a basic equine nutrition course in college, and it was so helpful!

    ReplyDelete