_

_

Sunday, 19 April 2015

Working Student Opportunity

Before I get into more details of the working student opportunity that has come my way - I'm going to explain two things first.





1) I have decided to take June/July/August off from my two part-time jobs.  So I will just have one 40 hour a week job.  I haven't had one job since I was 21 years old (I'm 29 now).  I work at a barn and at a gym and my hours have primarily been on the weekends. My husband and I are hoping to do some camping this year and working weekends just isn't going to happen.  I will decide at the end of the summer if I want to go back (both jobs are aware). 

2) In the ideal version of my life I have a part-time version of my current full-time job and I work a day or two a week a stable (I also live on a acreage!).  I love barn work, if it paid more I would do that full-time.


So... I have this "dream barn" that one day I wanted to bring Henry to.  It's a showjumping barn and Henry is the closest thing in my herd to a jumper so he was nominated to be in my dream barn fantasy.  It's a beautiful high end facility.  They regularly compete at Spruce Meadows.  I look at their website every now and then and follow them on social media.  And there is no way that I could ever afford to board or train there.  But hey, a girl can dream right?

Wut?



I hadn't looked at their page for a while but somehow I wandered over to it a few weeks ago.  There was a posting seeking a part-time working student, for a few extra chores and lunging (with riding opportunities in the future). 

On a whim I decided to send an e-mail expressing my interest.  I'm not quitting my full-time job so I'm only available in the evenings (not weekends during the summer).  I mentioned this in my e-mail.  I thought it was kind of a long shot that they would like a random working student to work an evening or two during the week but it doesn't hurt to ask! 


After a few weeks past I figured they had already found someone or were not interested in my availability. 

And then yesterday - I got an e-mail!  They sounded very interested and were totally fine with me working whenever I wanted to.  I have a meeting on Tuesday evening to see the facility and have more of an official interview. 

I definitely need more details.  Also my husband is out of town and I need to discuss it with him.  If it is a good fit I would probably work the two evenings that my arena is booked.  Potentially this could be a great opportunity for me and the horses. But maybe I want to just work one full-time job and enjoy some free time for a change!


Has anyone ever been a working student?  Or had a part-time working student opportunity?  I was supposed to be a working student when I was 21 at a dressage barn in North Carolina.  At the last minute plans fell apart.  The trainer turned out to be a creep and pretty much a horse abuser, so I decided not to go.  I'm disappointed that I didn't seek out another opportunity at that time rather than just quitting on the whole idea. 


19 comments:

  1. I was and I loved it. It led me to finding a job at a barn like you're talking about. The right program can really open doors. I hope that it works out for you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The one thing I would say is that you should definitely at least be able to get a lesson and the opportunity to ride. Otherwise you just end up being a free groom. If you are doing this to improve your riding, I would be very up front about it. I've seen too many people work their butts off to be able to ride only to be treated like they should be grateful for the opportunity to clean manure.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. Thank for the tips! I will definitely keep that in mind if something works out in the future :)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was a working student all through high school at a h/j barn and then after high school for an eventer on the east coast. The experience was invaluable. My only advice is to check it out very thoroughly and make sure that it's a position and a trainer that works for you. When I was checking out barns on the east coast I spent a few hours at each barn I was looking at, observing things, before I made a decision. I'm glad I did, because the one I liked most beforehand would not have worked out for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope I can find something that would work well with my 8-4 job (that's the challenging part). I will keep searching :)

      Delete
  4. Yay for taking some time off!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. that sounds like things falling into place to me. I'd follow it and see where it led.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was looking like it! Unfortunately this opportunity didn't work out but I will keep looking :)

      Delete
  6. It wouldn't hurt to check it out and see if it's a good fit for you. It may lead to valuable lessons and insights from top trainers. Just be careful they're not looking to use you as a groom or mucker with nothing in it for you. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely be getting as much information as I can! :) I have already been just a stall mucker, even though I like it I'm not learning very much.

      Delete
  7. Good luck! Agree with everyone above, make sure it's a good fit for you before committing - that said, it sounds exciting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sad it didn't work out, but I will definitely keep looking!

      Delete
  8. sounds like an exciting opportunity! i also love working at barns (and would totally do it for a living if student loans weren't actually a real thing...) but it can be exhausting to balance with a regular 40hr/wk job...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since it didn't work out I will just have a 40 hour/wk job for the summer, which will be a lovely vacation for me!

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Totally! I hope it works out in the future :)

      Delete