_

_

Sunday, 3 May 2015

Apollo's Bday & Saddle Update

My big pony is now 16 years old!  He was spoiled today with a massage from my good friend and many many carrots.  Technically his birthday was on Friday but I've been pretty slow on the birthdays this year. 

<3 !


A wonderful gift to both of us is that we finally have a saddle that fits!  It isn't exactly what I had in mind but I'm happy.  After our follow-up appointment with the saddle fitter on April 28 we were kind of left in limbo.  The re-flock of the cloud saddle was not a success.  It was overflocked and the saddle fitter couldn't seem to get the fit right.  After much tinkering she recommended I get something custom for him.

A custom saddle is not an option.  Particularly after a year of questionable soundness.... and uncertain future plans.  There is also no way that I could afford it right now.  I felt really stuck and frustrated. 

In 2013 (pre-blogging) I borrowed a saddle for about 6 months.  It was a barefoot treeless saddle.  I kind of thought it was ugly and found riding in it to be so-so.  But Apollo LOVED it.  The owner of the saddle didn't have a horse to ride anymore so she let me use it.  My DK saddle was for sale and I told her that when it sold I would be interested to purchase it.

Well my DK never sold and after 6 months I felt guilty so I gave it back to her.  I mostly rode bareback but I rode in it about once a week while I had it.  For some reason it popped into my mind and I decided to e-mail the saddle's owner.  She still had it and I decided to purchase it.  It offends my eyes but my horse is happy!  At least we have something to get him into shape. 


It looks like of like this.  Feast your eyes...or cover your eyes.  Whatever!


16 comments:

  1. It actually looks sort of comfy :) here's to many great rides in it!
    Happy birthday Apollo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday handsome! The saddle looks comfy and if Apollo likes it and it fits all the better. Once you're sitting in it nobody can see what it looks like so I wouldn't worry about looks. Happy rides!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel your pain! I don't love my saddle, but it works for my horse, so I tolerate it. The things we do for our horse beasts! Happy BDay Apollo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday Apollo! That saddle does look sort of comfy. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad that you found something that will work for him :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad that you found something that will work for him :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are weird looking, but I've heard lots of good things about them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. happy bday Apollo!! and yay for having a saddle that fits the horse!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hate saddle hunting. hate it. hate it. hate it! I'm glad that you found a solution

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm usually not a fan of the look of tireless saddles but that one looks very dressage-y !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm hoping it will grow on me a bit more once I see how happy my horse is in it.

      Delete
  11. Happy birthday Apollo!!!!!! Even though the saddle isn't gorgeous, the fact that it fits is awesome! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The things we do for our horses ;-)
    Glad you've found a solution and I'm so sorry he cloud saddle schleese didn't work out. Will it work for either of the other two?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops HAPPY BIRTHDAY APOLLO!!!!!

      Delete
    2. Yes the schleese and DK both fit Mystic very nicely! :) And thank you!

      Delete