_

_

Sunday, 28 June 2015

Apollocalypse

Today I did not have a good day.

I've been looking forward to a trail ride with my friend all week.  We made sure Apollo would fit and load politely into her smaller two horse straight load on Thursday (he's only been hauled in angle hauls and stock trailers).  He fit with a bit of room to spare and loaded like a gentleman.  I bought a cooler of snacks for us and our ponies.  Things have been a little stressful for me lately and I was so excited to go for an adventure with a good friend and my favorite steed.

When the trailer pulled up today at 3pm MY FUCKING HORSE WOULD NOT FUCKING LOAD.

I used every tool in my toolbox.  He didn't look afraid or defiant.  He looked eerily calm.  It's a look that I recognize from 5 years ago...when it took 7 hours to catch him.  Draft crosses can be the most calm horses ever, but there is also a stubbornness to them that trumps ponies.




It was unbelievably hot today and after about 30 minutes of trying I was covered in sweat and about to burst into tears.  I still tried for another 30 minutes with no improvement.  I sent my friend on her way.  I put my horse back in his pen.  And then I bawled my fucking eyes out.

He has always loaded well, it never even entered my mind as a possible issue.  I am so frustrated and embarrassed.  I feel like such a loser.

I sort of have a game plan (even though I am tired and very annoyed right now).  My friend left her trailer at my barn to practice with this week.  I'm also going contact the man who has done all of my barn moves for me (and I move a lot!).  His name is Greg and I feel so freaking calm about loading my horses when he is around.  I need some Greg juju to make my obnoxious hippo a well-mannered loader again.  He has always complimented me on how well my horses load.  Well... he's about to get a shock when he opens his e-mail tonight!

Thank you for making it this far into my pity party.

21 comments:

  1. ohhh that truly sucks. I would have been upset as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was not a very happy horse owner that day for sure!

      Delete
  2. Ugh! That's so frustrating! My rescue horse, Ducky, is a terrible loader. (Unlike your horse who decided to surprise you, mine regularly is all nope, not going.) But what's the most frustrating thing about it, is that once he decides he's ready to load, he just walks on. No drama. No look of fear. No "I'm DEFINITELY going to die" snorting or weary looks. Nothing. He's just like ok, I'm ready to go now. And he ships perfectly well. No kicking, pawing, or thrashing around. I swear these horses just like to torture us sometimes! I hope you get it resolved quickly and it's not a problem again in the future!

    www.amateuratlarge.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least you can be prepared with all your best tools/tricks! Apollo blindsided me haha

      Delete
  3. I feel your pain. My older gelding, who's been hauled literally hundreds of time, decided one day that there was no possible way he was getting on the trailer. 3 hours later we had reached an impasse. My mom ended up driving the 3 hours to come help me and it still took us another hour. Never have I been so frustrated, embarrassed and angry. So I completely understand. Good luck this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, it was very frustrating indeed.

      Delete
  4. Oh man, it must be something in the water. I've been reading so many blogs about trailering issues lately. Hopefully it was a one-time event. Sounds like you have a great plan to address it, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope we can resolve it and then I never have to think about it again haha

      Delete
  5. :( sorry to hear. Good to hear you have a plan though. Serenity now!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was very annoyed at my big pony!

      Delete
  6. That sounds very frustrating, I'm sorry. On a side note, your artistic interpretation of Apollo being a fire-breathing monster still has me giggling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahah thanks! MS Paint skills strong

      Delete
  7. oh man - what a pain!! they always know how to pick the right moments don't they... good luck with the good greg juju! (and also yea your illustration is hilarious!!!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a pain! Things seem to be improving this week haha, fingers crossed!

      Delete
  8. I know what you mean about the draft thing - my old perch x mare would decide something and there was absolutely no changing her mind without giving us both a time out :) I bet it was just an off day and it's going to be an easy fix and you'll be back out there in no time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those drafts....good lord. I was losing my cool and he was doing the horse equivalent of a shrug.

      Delete
  9. The most frustrating (non health related) issues I think any horse owner will ever deal with- not being caught in a field, and not going on a trailer. I've gone through these pains with both Foster and Ivan, and ended up finding a solution that's worked brilliantly- just requires a ton of patience and time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have time, just not a lot of patience....good training for me I guess :)

      Delete
  10. That picture made me snort my coffee ;-) I can totally relate to your trailer loading woes! If it makes you feel any better, my guy Cruz holds the world record for number of hours of successfully resisting getting into the trailer ... and no, the magic butt rope doesn't work for him :-(

    ReplyDelete