_

_

Monday, 22 June 2015

To Sell or Not to Sell

I’m pleased to report that I’ve been riding Apollo quite a bit!  We’ve been getting out on the trails way more than we ever have (and by trails I mean the hay field across the street and ditch riding).  He continues to love his new fugly saddle.  I don’t enjoy riding in that saddle and will eventually be looking to get another option for arena riding.  I find that I can't post the trot like a human being because that huge horn thing hitting the front of my legs.



My desire for a new saddle pales in comparison for my desire to have a horse trailer.  I had to bow out of a competitive trail ride on Saturday and a ride with friends on Sunday due to trailer coordination issues. 

Now that I’ve reduced my income (yay for only one job) it’s more challenging to save up for more expensive horse items.  I’ll be spending some time in the next few weeks going through my stuff and selling what I don’t need.  Here are a few things that will be put up for sale shortly:

1)      My Schleese Wave 17.5 dressage saddle (aka the Cloud Saddle *tears*)
2)      My wedding dresses
3)      All extraneous horse equipment that isn’t being used regularly
I have also been considering downsizing my herd - which is the part I’m struggling with the most.

Henry has the most re-sale value.   I cannot legally sell Mystic (due a contract from the horse rescue) and Apollo is a lifelong family member.  I’ve had Henry for sale briefly before and was offered $3000 and $5000 for him at different times.

I also worry the most about selling him.  It’s taken me quite a while to figure out his quirks and find a nutrition plan that works for him. 

I have tied a lot of my dreams to Henry.  I live near Spruce Meadows and I’ve been picturing Henry and I competing there (at a non-scary height) since I bought him.  Apollo and Mystic will awesome trail buddies for me and my husband - that’s mainly what I had in mind for them.  I also think Mystic will make an amazing lower level event horse (because she is so brave) but I don’t think she has Henry’s natural springs. 

Whenever money gets a bit tight I come back to the same idea of selling a horse.  I really never intended to have three but now I that I do love them all so much that my heart is going to explode.   I want them all to have the best care and the best life.  I don’t know that I can give any of them that when I have three.  Is it even remotely possible to work full-time and have three horses going under saddle?  Because that sounds slightly insane.

I hope I can clear out some gear so I can quiet my thoughts of horse-downsizing.  I feel incredibly guilty even thinking about it. 

12 comments:

  1. That is a hard quandary. Hindsight may 20/20 but looking ahead one feels blind. I'm sorry that you have to make such a tough decision.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to know what the right thing to do is. Either road will be hard :(

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Yep - being a grown up sucks! haha :)

      Delete
  3. ugh what a tough place to be :( good luck selling the gear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed :( I'm going to focus on selling the gear over the next month and see how I feel after that

      Delete
  4. Tough decisions ahead of you. I couldn't sell any of my horses even though I know some of them are basically what my husband calls lawn ornaments. I love them too much and wouldn't feel right if they didn't get the proper care that they do here if sold. On the other hand everyone needs to do what's right for them. Hope you are lots of money selling your gear. Good luck with whatever you decide.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's never an easy decision to send one along to new humans. I read an article not long ago (sadly I can't remember where, but probably it was the Chronicle) about such decisions. In it, the author said something that really resonated with me, "never be so selfish as to assume you're the only one who can give your horse a wonderful home." While it sounds a bit harsh, in context it meant that if you don't really have the time and/or money for your equine friend (or if you're not a good match, etc), it's important to realize that someone else does (or is). And if you were able to figure out his/her quirks, someone else can too. Especially if you let them know what you've discovered. Obviously that doesn't mean everyone will listen, or that any Joe Schmo who comes along is the right person for your horse. But it does mean that your horse could have a new human to call his own that he can love as much as you.
    Or you can just be like me and collect them. I've given up sleeping, but who needs sleep anyway?

    www.amateuratlarge.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm going to be making some similar decisions,and understand how heartbreaking it is. It sounds like you're doing the right thing, just weighing your options and not making any hasty decisions. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. it's very hard to sell and no one can make this decision but you. I think you will know if you find the right owner.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's so hard to sell a horse, especially when you have plans for your future with them. Whatever you decide, I wish you luck.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a hard decision - wishing you luck as you decide.

    ReplyDelete