_

_

Tuesday, 7 July 2015

Hand Gallop Blog Hop: Every Day Tack Setup

I am always tardy to the blog hop party.  Thanks Stephanie of Hand Gallop for a great blog hop :) 




It's taken me a year to get my gear set up in a way that his highness, Apollo, approves of - so I should be celebrating it!


Post-ride saddle setup (girth was loosened so everything shifted back a bit!)



Sensation Treeless Saddle  (I believe it's the hybrid trail model, it's a few years old)  I think it's hideous and I hate riding it in.  But Apollo clearly loves it.  He's noticeably more forward and willing in his saddle.  I may have mistakenly called it a "Barefoot Saddle" earlier in my blog, oops. 






There is also a fuzzy equalizer pad that goes underneath the saddle.  They came together when I bought the saddle and seem to work well together.  I couldn't find the brand on it but it's similar to the Skito Equalizer Saddle Pads.
 






Back on Track Dressage Saddle Pad It helps keep the fuzzy equalizer pad clean and I hope that it helps warming his back up and keeping him loose.  I'm really impressed with the quality of these pads so far.








Total Saddle Fit Shoulder Relief Girth  These are the only girths I will buy from now on.  The leather is lovely and buttery.  My horse has huge shoulders and I notice a difference in his level of comfort between the TSR girth and the girth the saddle came with.  This is a bandwagon trend that is actually amazing!



I'm currently rocking a strange hybrid between the used (brand unknown) "pumpkin" bridle and an  Anky bridle that I bought 8 years ago.  Part of my Anky bridle went missing in my last barn move so I've combined the parts I like into a frankenbridle.  The pumpkin bridle came with huge rubber reins so I'm using those for now.



I also ride in my sidepull occassionally, I purchased mine from Josh Nichol.  I have simple black braided reins that I use with it.



When I'm using a bit I use a Happy Mouth loose ring mullen mouth bit (which is 6").  I had to borrow my instructor's bridle once and he loved her bit.  We have stuck with it ever since.  He strangely seems to respect it more than a snaffle.




We have sort of a strange mishmash of a setup happening right now...but my horse is happy so I won't look at it for too long. :)



Here is a link to the original Hand Gallop post, I'm too slow for the linkz code! 


13 comments:

  1. So, in my last post I was riding in a treeless saddle. I thought that I would feel insecure and unbalanced in it, but it was actually pretty comfortable. The weird part is that I thought I would be crippled for life after, but my back didn't hurt half as much as when I ride in my saddle. Shocked the hell out of me! Anyway, I love the BoT pads and the TSF girth too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's interesting! My treeless is actually quite comfy but it has this awkward hornless horn thing on the front that bumps my legs if I attempt to post the trot. I do notice that I don't back spasms (as I usually do in other saddles) when I ride in it, which is nice!

      Delete
  2. i think we need to see pics of you in this saddle that you so strongly dislike lol, bc somehow i suspect it doesn't look nearly so weird with an actual rider in it. all the same tho, what a relief to have found something he likes! also i have those BoT saddle pads too and have been very pleased with them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could live with the appearance (it's really not that bad!) but it's uncomfortable to ride in. I can't post the trot :( I can live with it if it keeps my horse happy and sound!

      Delete
  3. I just ordered a TSF girth to see if that will help keep my saddle from sliding forward onto my pony's shoulders. She's built downhill so even with a shimmed half pad it moves. I tried their half pad and loved it, but there's just not enough lift in the front for us. Our Prolite half pad with the closed cell foam shims has been the best thing I've purchased in a long time. Now I'm really excited to get that girth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You won't be disappointed. :) I wouldn't have bought one buy my saddle fitter sells one and just happened to have one (giant) girth leftover in her truck when she did our last fitting. Now I'm sure glad I did!

      Delete
  4. Do you dislike the saddle because of looks or because of how it feels to you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could live with the looks, I don't really care that much. I do not really enjoy riding in it. But it makes my horse happy and until I can afford something else - I will make do :)

      Delete
    2. My husband has a freeform treeless. I've ridden in it and it feels a lot more like a treed saddle. They're super expensive, but we got our used so maybe keep an eye out for a used one.

      Delete
    3. I will start saving my pennies :) It seems like treeless saddles are the only thing that really work for my big boy!

      Delete
  5. I really, really want to get a Back on Track saddle pad for B. She is so stiff on her left side and I think it could help. Have you found it has had much of an impact on Apollo?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. I'm not sure if the change for him was the proper fitting saddle or the BOT products! I'm afraid to change anything now haha!

      I put the BOT mesh sheet on him for 10 minutes before I ride and I notice he's slightly more stiff to begin with if I don't. I would invest in the sheet before a saddle pad if were you, although I'm sure the saddle pad helps too.

      Delete