_

_

Thursday, 6 August 2015

Here to Stay

I have so many things to post about right now!  There were some interesting findings during the horses dental work, there is new saddle for Apollo on the horizon and I have a new prospective instructor I'm meeting this week.

But those will have to wait for now!  I've finally made a decision on something that has been weighing on my mind for a while.





I never intended to have three horses.  I wanted a draft cross filly to be Apollo's trail buddy, so eventually my husband and I could ride together.  I applied to adopt Mystic but when I didn't hear anything for a few weeks my heart was stolen my a scraggly and adorable warmblood colt (Mr. H) in a feedlot.  After I paid for Henry and his shipping I was approved to adopt Mystic.  My bank account has been crying ever since - ha!

I always planned to sell one of them and Henry made more sense.  This has been on my mind a lot lately.



I also found myself seeing riders I admired and wanting to give Henry to them.  He's a quirky athletic dude, at times I have doubted my ability to ride him to his potential.  Draft crosses are my jam.  After giving it a lot of consideration I realized my motivation to sell Henry was more about my lack of confidence rather than the financial side of things.

I made a post on a message board about thoughts about pricing and help writing his for sale ad.  I started looking at horse classifieds to get an idea of pricing for my boy.  When I was looking at other horses it made me remember when I saw his photo for the first time.  It grabbed me.  Right from the moment I saw it I knew he was my horse.  I felt the exact same way when I first saw Apollo's photo and Mystic's photo.


So I decided, fuck it.  I'm keeping the horse.  I'm all in.



It is a challenge to manage the care of three horses, that isn't going to go away.  I think I do a pretty good job, and I'll continue to work hard to ensure everyone is getting a fair amount of love/handling.  When I told my husband that I had officially decided Henry was here to stay he laughed.  He never thought Henry was going anywhere (Henry is also his favorite herd member).
 
So we are a three horse family.  I have no idea what that looks like in the longterm but I know its the right decision for us. 

14 comments:

  1. It'll work out, I'm sure of it! Your only problem will be deciding which one to ride, when they are all trained! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a good problem to have :)

      Delete
  2. Being a 3 horse family is a crazy sort of lifestyle. But it's worth it. It took me a long time to be ok with it, but it's ok to need help and ask for it. It doesn't make you less capable or less of a rider/horse owner. So find a good trainer you trust, and have an exciting journey with all 3 of your four legged kids :)

    www.amateuratlarge.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I think I will need to learn how to ask for help. My list of people I trust with my horses care is very short! :)

      Delete
  3. Yay! I didn't want to weigh in before, but Henry is kinda sorta my favorite too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's very popular! His weird charm is very appealing haha

      Delete
  4. this is so sweet! sometimes i guess you need to do a little soul searching even if it only reaffirms the choice you've already made. i'm glad Henry has a home with you and will be excited to see where it goes :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah definitely needed to do some soul searching. It feels like the right decision in my gut but making it work will be interesting! :)

      Delete
  5. I'm glad that you made a decision and I like the one you made! You can manage a 3 horse herd. Perhaps you can even find someone to help you exercise one or two of them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes I will definitely need some help when they're all going under saddle :)

      Delete
  6. I'm happy to hear you're keeping him! I'm sure it's the right decision and Henry will be happy about it too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It feels like the right decision, I would miss the little weirdo :)

      Delete
  7. I think it's great that you're keeping him and that you put so much thought into it before making the decision to. So glad that Henry will always have a good home :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, yeah I'm happy. I can continue life as his humble servant :P

      Delete