_

_

Monday, 24 August 2015

Long in the Tooth


Back on July 30th the vet came out to do vaccinations and dental work on the herd.  I'm going to do a quick horse-by-horse breakdown of the findings, some of which are kind of interesting.

Apollo:



Apollo has the reputation of being the most difficult horse to float at the vet clinic.  I feel like they draw straws over who has to deal with him.  He apparently takes double the sedation of other horses his size.  And he metabolizes it very quickly.  He's only ever really doped up enough for three or four minutes, and the rest of the time he fights.

His teeth were in ok shape.  He was checked six months ago and I was told he could wait for another six months to a year.  He had a few sharp points and a tooth gap where food was getting caught.  Those were corrected with ZERO cooperation from the big horse.  We eventually propped his head up on a pushbroom and the vet assistant held his right side and I held his left side.  I'm not sure if the head position was more comfortable or if he felt more calm because I was there but he was slightly more cooperative at that point.

The interesting thing about his float is that they found a large patch of inflammation on his lower gums/cheek on the right side.  Apparently he had an allergic reaction to the QuestPlus dewormer I gave him a week prior.  A small percentage of horses are allergic to an ingredient called praziquantel(spelling?) in QuestPlus.  In future I will do fecal egg counts to see what dewormer he needs and will likely use ivermectin instead.  I thought that was interesting!

I did give his sheath a quick clean (as I do every month...gross) but since I had two other horses to bring in it wasn't the most thorough.






Mystic:





Mystic was a cooperative doped up horse, unlike Apollo.  She had a few sharp points and minimal cheek ulceration.  Nothing major.

She did have one wolf tooth though.  The vet didn't think it was in a place that would cause her any discomfort when she has a bit in her mouth.  It's on the left, so I will keep that in mind if we ever do run into any issues.  I figured if it was really doing any harm there wasn't a need to pull it.



I didn't have to clean her sheath...because she is a mare.  Remind me why I have geldings again?






Henry:





Henry's wolf teeth were removed when he was gelded (in June 2013).  The vet that did the gelding/wolf teeth removal was the same one that came out for his float.  She remembered how hilarious and floppy he was during his gelding.   She also was the first vet that saw him when I bought him (when he was an underweight worm-filled scraggly baby).  She kind of gushed on how handsome he is now (which he loved).  I thought it was so cool that she remembered him!

He had a few sharp points as well but no cheek ulceration.  They topped up his tranq towards the end so I could clean his sheath.  Oh geldings.  His actually wasn't too bad, he didn't have any beans it was just reeeally dirty.

He was the last to be worked on so I took a few drunk Henry pictures and videos.  He's the cutest little doped up horse ever.










All the horses will be seen again in a year (as per the vet's recommendation).  I'm thinking about posting my bill and blurring out the numbers....closest guess wins a prize :)



Some cheesy dental humor stolen from the internet....*gold*


14 comments:

  1. Another blogger did this about injections a couple years back. I think it would be fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sound good! I just need to figure out a prize :)

      Delete
  2. i think twister needs his teeth done...again. and the only time i envy mare owners is when i'm elbow-deep in sheath and smegma.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep I was wishing I had three mares on dentist day for sure!

      Delete
  3. aw cute dopey ponies!!! i really need to get my mare's teeth checked too... good reminder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My bank account is crying but my herd was definitely overdue! :)

      Delete
  4. Oh Apollo, there always has to be one trouble maker! I forgot all about sheath cleaning. Sometimes it really is nice to have four mares.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is such a turd for dental work! I'm feeling very jealous of your mare-only life right now :)

      Delete
  5. I have three myself, so I'd guess $1000. I have my vet do the sheath cleaning while the gelding is out of it. He tolerates everything. He could probably have dental without sedation, but he will not allow me to touch his privates ever. And I think my vet charges like $20 to do sheath cleaning once they're already out. And it's worth $20 to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a pretty good guess! I will be posting the blacked out bill tomorrow (with a cool prize...!) Make sure you enter :)
      Yeah I think next time I will treat myself to a sheath cleaning from the vet, I thought it would be expensive but maybe I will look into that.

      Delete
  6. Hehe. I also have the vet do the sheath cleaning!!! Henry is cute on drugs :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's a good idea! Henry was an adorable lightweight haha :)

      Delete