_

_

Friday, 25 September 2015

Musical Saddles

I don’t think I ever mentioned how the extra wide County Competitor saddle went.  The seller was so amazing, she gave me lots of additional photos and measurements.  I wanted it to fit so badly. 

But no.  Too narrow for my big boy!  



I actually quite liked the saddle.  I bet an extra extra wide would have fit him (they exist and I will forever be looking now).  It was barely too narrow…but when I walked around in it for 5 minutes I could tell he was uncomfortable.  I was hoping maybe a strategic reflock would help but my friend/saddle fitter extraordinaire/bodyworker was the voice of reason for me.  She said that a re-flock wouldn’t help.  

Back to the treeless monstrosity for us!  He loves that saddle so much. And my budget doesn’t really allow for additional saddle shopping at the moment.  We mostly walk on our trail rides anyways so I’ll use it when I ride outside and when I ride in the arena I’ll just ride in my bareback pad.  I can stand it at the walk, beyond that it’s too uncomfortable and I feel like it’s destroying my riding position/ giving me a chair seat at any faster gaits.

I thought maybe the County would work on Mystic, but it’s actually too wide for her.  So I have taken it to a consignment shop to be sold.  

Too wide for this pony! 
 

Oh a whim I decided to try Mystic’s exselle saddle from my aunt on again.  She goes for training in 37 days (!) and I wanted to check the fit again.  And now it’s too narrow!  

So I decided to pull my much-complained-about DK saddle from the tack shop for Mystic.  I will be harassing the saddle fitter to come out and adjust it for me soon (not my friend mentioned above, someone who has the special equipment to adjust DK saddles).  I will likely be reflocking it again…after the lousy initial wool flock.  

I can’t believe I have the DK again.  The last time I took it out of my car I told myself I would never have to look at it again.  But…here we are.  

When I bought it I loved it so much I put it on a chair next to my bed so I could look at it every morning when I woke up.  I felt like I did right by my horse by having a custom saddle made for him.  And I thought it was the most beautiful saddle I’d ever seen.  I’m trying to get back to that frame of mind.

It is kind of beautiful...


I will hereby be putting a stop to all negative DK comments.  Not because the company doesn’t suck (because they do) but I don’t want to have lots of negative baggage attached to Mystic’s first saddle.  I’m going to try and think of it’s as Mystic’s first big girl saddle and nothing else.

In further musical saddle news, I saw this at the tack consignment shop near my work yesterday:



It's also a sensation treeless saddle but it doesn't have the annoying thing at the front that my current saddle does (see pic below for comparison).  The price is reasonable and I can tell from their online album that it's been there since March.  So I feel like I can low-ball them a bit.  I'll still have to wait until the county saddle sells though as it's not in my budget at the moment.  I think I would be much happier in that saddle (it's no schleese but I would like it a lot better than my current one).

Ignore the falling backwards shift in this photo and notice the ginormous horn thing at the front...

And my aunt's exselle saddle sort of fits Henry now.  So everyone sort of has their own saddle, for now :)

13 comments:

  1. Saddle woes! I hope the Country sells and you can try out the new treeless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow talk about saddle drama. It shouldn't be that hard but sadly often is. I've never ridden in a treeless. What is it like?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't love it! But, to be fair, it doesn't really fit me properly. I feel like the saddle will really easy shift if it isn't done up quite tightly (more so than a regular saddle). Other than that it feels about the same as a "treed" saddle :)

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear you about finding a saddle that fits! For years I couldn't find a saddle for Dusty that would not slip side to side when mounting and riding. Her back is wide and she is wither challenged so to speak. I finally found a reputable company to make a custom saddle for her at a reasonable price. I love the saddle we got. It's well made and comfortable for both of us and fits really well. The company is www.blackcountrysaddles.com. When you're ready for another saddle give them a look online and see what you think. It never hurts to look for more options. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the recommendation! I will keep them in mind for sure :)

      Delete
  5. ugh it's always such a song and dance with saddle fit. honestly tho, that's pretty huge awesome news that the much-abused DK might actually have a worthwhile job after all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is!
      I feel like the DK owes me some more miles for sure! It is lovely to look at :)

      Delete
  6. I feel that if I worked near the Tack Collector I would be much poorer.

    Best of luck with the DK

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh no, he is really hard to fit, eh? Good luck finding something that works!!

    ReplyDelete