_

_

Tuesday, 15 September 2015

Quid Pro Quo

*note: I wrote this on my phone... The formatting and pics look a bit weird*

I’m not sure if it’s abundantly clear in my blog or not...but I’ve had kind of a struggle finding a suitable lesson program.  There wasn’t always a piece that didn’t quite fit. 

I recently had to sit myself down and think about what I want to get out of lessons.  I was so lost when Apollo’s lameness issues cropped up; I didn’t really feel like I could work towards anything because I felt his future soundness was uncertain.
But now I have a goal.  And it’s so much easier to make a plan when you have a goal.

GOAL:  Mystic and I are going to do some dressage schooling shows and do Starter Level events next season. 


Here’s what I would like to get out lessons (with my new goal in mind):
1)      Improve confidence
2)      Find a mentor
3)      Expand current skillset
4)      Have fun

First here’s a quick re-cap of my lessons in the last 6 months:
1)      I previously mentioned a trial lesson with a coach, S, who is studying the School de Legerete (Philipe Karl).  I quite liked her.  But we weren’t ever able to schedule a follow up lesson and her lesson costs also increased substantially (by $50…which is nothing to sneeze at).


2)      I also recently took a lesson at an eventing barn.  Which was actually amazing and quite helpful (I likely won’t get around to a proper re-cap).  The coach, D, is my eventing yoda. 

3)      I also took lessons for a while at the dressage barn that I worked at with coach, B.  I found these very educational and actually quite fun.  I did find the cost a bit prohibitive.

I think I thought one instructor would show up and meet all of my needs for lessons.  Maybe some people are that lucky but for me that isn’t realistic.  I feel quite lucky that actually had fun taking lessons with the three coaches I met in the last 6 months.  They all had something different to teach me (equally valuable). 
So in September I will take two in-hand lessons with S (school de legerete coach).  Going forward lessons with S will likely be only every month or two because of the cost.  But I got a lot out of our one lesson together and would like to keep learning from her. 
I plan to do weekly lessons with D and B going forward (late September start date for D, early October for B).  I was offered a reduced rate for taking a shorter lesson with both - which is perfect for my attention span and my budget!

So with this new plan in place here is how I picture me getting what I want out of lessons:
1)      Improve confidence - All
2)      Find a mentor – Coach D ftw
3)      Expand current skillset – All (with different focuses)
4)      Have fun – All



I’ve recently been thrown the curveball of my husband’s lay off.  But I’ve countered that with picking up a buttload of hours at my old job and picking up turn-in duties at the barn that Mystic is moving to.
I’m pretty excited about my new plan!  I think I’ve finally set myself up for success.  :)

16 comments:

  1. Dang girl way to overcome those obstacles! Love the can do attitude

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dang girl way to overcome those obstacles! Love the can do attitude

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I have big plans for 2016 :)

      Delete
  3. I love how you outline everything. It's so much easier to figure out where you are and where you want to go with a good solid plan. I think you're on the right path! Can't wait to read all about your journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm really really excited to ride my little mare.

      Delete
  4. I hear you on the obstacles and finding a lesson plan....You will make it work though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a struggle in a lot ways over the years. I think I'm finally on to something good here :)

      Delete
  5. Sounds like an excellent plan. I also am only able to afford lessons because I help out at the barn and either share lessons or go with a reduced time. Excited to hear what the next few months bring you - it's going to be great :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I feel so spoiled that my parents paid for my lessons as a kid...I am missing that now haha. :)

      Delete
  6. Sounds like a good plan! I love the flexibility. Did I miss a post? Mystic is moving? I'll have to go back and re-read. Maybe it's just that my brain is fried :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's leaving for training in November with an eventing trainer. Not sure if it's a long term move (the barn is pretty far away). :) I don't think I was very clear that she is moving for her training so that's probably my bad haha

      Delete
  7. great plan! growing up i always rode with just one trainer, and agree that for many people that's enough. but for whatever reason, riding with multiple coaches over the past year has really made a huge difference for me. the balance of coaches has shifted over time tho - i've found that it's critical that their philosophies and approaches mesh more or less (within reason) otherwise i end up confused and feeling like we're moving in too many directions that aren't 'forward.' anyway good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope everyone's philosophies continue to mesh going forward with my "team". I kind of miss one coach life but I think this is a better fit for me now (sounds like it works great for you!). Thanks for the luck :)

      Delete
  8. One of the benefits of owning your own horse is that you can take lessons from whomever you want!! I say go for it and take all the lessons from all the trainers :D

    ReplyDelete