*note: I wrote this on my phone... The formatting and pics look a bit weird*
I’m not sure if it’s abundantly clear in my blog or not...but I’ve had kind of a struggle finding a suitable lesson program. There wasn’t always a piece that didn’t quite fit.
I recently had to sit myself down and think about what I want to get out of lessons. I was so lost when Apollo’s lameness issues cropped up; I didn’t really feel like I could work towards anything because I felt his future soundness was uncertain.
But now I have a goal. And it’s so much easier to make a plan when you have a goal.
GOAL: Mystic and I are going to do some dressage schooling shows and do Starter Level events next season.
Here’s what I would like to get out lessons (with my new goal in mind):
1) Improve confidence
2) Find a mentor
3) Expand current skillset
4) Have fun
First here’s a quick re-cap of my lessons in the last 6 months:
1) I previously mentioned a trial lesson with a coach, S, who is studying the School de Legerete (Philipe Karl). I quite liked her. But we weren’t ever able to schedule a follow up lesson and her lesson costs also increased substantially (by $50…which is nothing to sneeze at).
2) I also recently took a lesson at an eventing barn. Which was actually amazing and quite helpful (I likely won’t get around to a proper re-cap). The coach, D, is my eventing yoda.
3) I also took lessons for a while at the dressage barn that I worked at with coach, B. I found these very educational and actually quite fun. I did find the cost a bit prohibitive.
I think I thought one instructor would show up and meet all of my needs for lessons. Maybe some people are that lucky but for me that isn’t realistic. I feel quite lucky that actually had fun taking lessons with the three coaches I met in the last 6 months. They all had something different to teach me (equally valuable).
So in September I will take two in-hand lessons with S (school de legerete coach). Going forward lessons with S will likely be only every month or two because of the cost. But I got a lot out of our one lesson together and would like to keep learning from her.
I plan to do weekly lessons with D and B going forward (late September start date for D, early October for B). I was offered a reduced rate for taking a shorter lesson with both - which is perfect for my attention span and my budget!
So with this new plan in place here is how I picture me getting what I want out of lessons:
1) Improve confidence - All
2) Find a mentor – Coach D ftw
3) Expand current skillset – All (with different focuses)
4) Have fun – All
I’ve recently been thrown the curveball of my husband’s lay off. But I’ve countered that with picking up a buttload of hours at my old job and picking up turn-in duties at the barn that Mystic is moving to.
I’m pretty excited about my new plan! I think I’ve finally set myself up for success. :)