_

_

Friday, 23 October 2015

Apollo's Son

I'm sure at some point in my blog I've mentioned that Apollo was a stallion (and only halterbroke) until he was 8 years old. 

The whole reason that he was gelded and sent for training is that he jumped out of his stallion paddock and bred a mare.  His owners, who were also his original breeders, always intended to geld him and ride him but were very intimidated by his size.  I am forever grateful that he jumped out of his pen like a wild man because that started a chain of events that lead him to me.  The lady, T, who put 30 days on him was the niece of the original owners and is still a good friend of mine (and I have left Apollo to her in my will).

His one time tryst in the pasture actually produced a colt, named Strydor. 




Strydor ended up having a somewhat similar story to Apollo.  Gelded and sent for training with T at 8 years old. Strydor came up for sale about a month after I bought Mystic and Henry.  He didn't really grab me the way Apollo did when I first saw his pictures.  But I was pretty distracted by my adorable new youngsters at that point.


Big daddy Apollo




Mr. Strydor
 

It's lucky that I didn't buy Strydor because he turned out to be quite a bucker.  After a few months for sale and injuring T he was sent back to be a pasture pet.  Which is where he is currently.  I think if I had property I might offer to take him, but at this point that's not going to happen.





Apollo has something weird wrong with his hind end.   He gets kinked up when a farrier works on his hind legs.  I have had this investigated by at least 5 vets, osteopaths, chiropractors, and massage therapists.  He's totally sound to ride but this has always bothered me.  No one has ever been able to find anything.  Sometimes I wonder if he passed on a more severe version of this issue to Strydor (my guess has always been that it's in his hip joints) and that caused him to buck. 




I want to kiss that cute pink nose!



Strydor is pretty stinkin' cute!  It's so weird that my horse has a son.  Every once in a while T sends me an update on him and maybe one day he can be my pasture pet :)

23 comments:

  1. Aw. This makes me sad. Sometimes horses just have issues.

    But dang Apollo is good looking and passed it along!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it is sad. :( At least he is safe as a lawn ornament for the time being.

      Aww thanks, I think my big boy is handsome too :)

      Delete
  2. Aw. This makes me sad. Sometimes horses just have issues.

    But dang Apollo is good looking and passed it along!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally agree....but they are quite good looking arent they ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. huh i actually never knew that about Apollo - and Strydor is super adorable. unfortunate about the bucking and mystery hind end weirdness tho

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure if I ever properly mentioned it. He usually remembers that he's a gelding...but sometimes he's a bit hard to catch in the spring haha

      Delete
  5. Too bad about the naughtiness, that is one cute baby!
    Maybe Apollo has a sliding patella? I had a horse with that. It never interfered with work, but every once in awhile when I tried to pick his back foot, he couldn't bend his leg. Freaked me out the first time! Vet said just to do lots of raised cavalletti to strengthen the muscles around it.
    Jampy was a stallion until I had him gelded at 13. He got loose at a horse show, and this trainer on a mare freaked out and ran around the horse show grounds with him trailing behind... I decided since I had no intention of breeding him that he needed to be gelded before I got sued. He has TONS of babies wandering around Europe. I actually had a lady find a video I posted on YouTube and she contacted me because she has one of his babies! They're in Germany, so I thought that was extra neat. AND her horse is a pinto! I'm assuming from the dam's side... Unless there's something I don't know about Jamp's past ;)

    www.amateuratlarge.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to see Jampy's babies! You'll have to do a post on that sometime soon :D
      I will do some reading on sliding patella, thanks!

      Delete
  6. I get a bit twitchy with hind end issues. I would wonder about sacroilliac issues for the hind leg problem. Appollo is pretty handsome and stryder is a cutie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That could be it, I think I'll forever be googling things to see if they fit. They are both cuties for sure :D

      Delete
  7. Too bad about the bucking because he's just as flashy as his papa! What a cutie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is it too bad, not that I could afford another horse right now haha :D

      Delete
  8. Cute son. Shame about the bucking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope Apollo's son can decorate my lawn someday :)

      Delete
  9. He is adorable! Handsome just like Apollo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They both have that sweet pink nosey :)

      Delete
  10. Strydor is just too adorable! Hope you get to keep him one day.

    We've had horses with similar issue in their hind end with the farrier. Turns out one had pssm and one had shivers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :)

      That's what I keep coming back to (pssm) but the vets kept steering me away and saying that's not the problem. Maybe I need to push for formal testing a bit more.

      Delete
  11. They are both so handsome!!

    I ALWAYS wish they could talk so that we could find out what is wrong!!

    I had a mare who was the sweetest thing in the world, but doing her back feet (farrier) she was a monster and I knew it was pain but both vets I tried could never find anything wrong ... only so much money to be spent sadly. We found that with enough time, she didn't need back shoes and a low level life she lives and loves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      Yes I agree for sure. If they could talk it would solve so many problems. Glad you were able to find a good home for your mare, sad that you didn't get answers either.

      Delete
  12. They are both so handsome and FLASHY. How cool that Apollo has a son, I always wished that Jingle could have had one baby. It probably would have been even crazier than he is though haha, so it's for the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is super flashy! I wouldn't mind if he was my lawn ornament one day... :)

      Delete