_

_

Tuesday, 20 October 2015

Still Standing

First off - thank you everyone for your kind words about Blue.  <3

I've been fighting a terrible cold that left me feeling pretty brain dead lately.  When I do have the mental faculties to read anything I’ve been having the same issue as Shauna. I have an expired browser on my work computer and so I'm not able to comment.   Hopefully that will be sorted out soon.  

Life has been a bit of a whirlwind lately.  The cold left me in kind of a mental fog (which prevented a lot of reading/writing) but a lot of wonderful things have been happening.

This is pretty much me right now.



I can’t believe I’m actually enjoying taking lessons.  Particularly my lessons with eventing coach D.  I actually have fun.  And learn things!  It’s so strange to not dread lessons.   I don’t remember ever looking forward to lessons and now I really do.  I ride a paintxdraft cross mare named Betty and I freaking love her.



Poor quality dark photo from my first lesson!  Awkward moment for both of us but I love this mare <3 



Coach D told me at my last lesson that my position is nearly perfect (not as displayed in the above picture obviously hah!).  She says it’s fun to teach someone who can work on exercises rather than nitpicking their position all the time (*swoon*).  My only big issue is that I still struggle with keeping my hands closed but she says I’m already improving on that on my own.   The exercises she gives me are challenging but doable.  At my first lesson with her I felt uneasy trotting around an outdoor arena on a strange horse.  Now I’m doing patterns with serpentines, cantering, raised poles and other obstacles.  Pretty amazing changes for a month!  I couldn’t ask for anything better from my lessons with her.  

My lessons at the dressage barn are going awesome as well.  Coach B says I haven’t missed a beat from where I left off with her.  

Dressage superpony Jazz enjoys after our rides...snacktime.

 

Mystic leaves for training in 10 days (training starts in 12 days).  AHHHHH!!!!  I have more time this week to work with her so I hope to put all the finishing touches on before she leaves.  I am still perfecting her lunging work and would like to start putting weight on her back soon.
 
Speaking of Mystic... she has a saddle now!  The DK fits her quite well after a small adjustment.  It might need further adjusting once she’s working more but for the moment it looks pretty perfect.  Thank goodness I didn’t sell it after all! 

Today I bought her a bit - a copper french link made by Stubben. Hopefully she likes it.  The trainer likes to start horses in a french link and the only one in her size that I could find was in copper (so it was extra expensive, only the best for my girl!).



Two lovely bridles arrived from my good blogging buddy Stacie last night, I'm so excited to try them on the youngsters!  Pics soon, I promise :)


Two-pointober time from last night...not as much improvement as I'd like but still getting better.  
Note to self - rubber boots are terrible for practicing two-point.





 

15 comments:

  1. glad things are going well. You will love your new bit :) I can't wait to hear about Mystic and how she progresses

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been having a hard time sleeping lately because I'm so excited! :D

      Delete
  2. Eek! Like sending the kiddo off to school. I'm nervous and excited for you!

    Glad lessons are going well! Hopefully pictures soon?? (Innocent smile) :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eek! Like sending the kiddo off to school. I'm nervous and excited for you!

    Glad lessons are going well! Hopefully pictures soon?? (Innocent smile) :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to have some pics soon! Coach D always takes them but she doesn't usually send them to me, will have to ask next time!

      Delete
  4. You must have found some great trainers, glad you are enjoying lessons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are so wonderful! After years of not-so-great trainers I'm super grateful :)

      Delete
  5. i'm so glad to hear you're enjoying the lessons so much - having the right trainers can really make all the difference. so exciting about Mystic too!!! (esp that the darned saddle actually works for her lol)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so happy about the saddle, if it didn't fit I have no idea what I would do....no money in the saddle budget right now haha :)

      Delete
  6. It's a great feeling to look forward to your lessons and have fun besides! Yeah! I'm happy for you. Everything looks like it's working out wonderfully

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yeah when I compare October 2014 to October 2015 it's a huge change (for the better) :)

      Delete
  7. You're so lucky. I wish my position was anything other than something to cringe at. That's a fancy looking bit. I hope Mystic appreciates it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're way too hard on yourself! I'm not sure that mine is amazing either but its nice to get a compliment from a coach :)

      Delete
  8. So much excitement all in one post! Sounds like lessons are going great! I've recently started them again and I'm loving it too.
    Mystic is growing up! I'm excited to read all about her progress.
    Can't wait for pretty bridle photos!

    www.amateuratlarge.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was hard to right this post - I'm just a ball of excitement right now! The only word coming into my brain was squeeeeeeeeeee! :D

      Delete