_

_

Tuesday, 3 November 2015

Eventful

October was my last month as a 29 year old.  On October 29th I turned 30!  I spent two weekends celebrating.  One with friends and family and one with just me my husband.  I’m not really one to make a big fuss on my birthdays but I felt like the big 3-0 warranted a celebration. 

I have so many updates; I don’t even know where to start.  I have never been so busy/happy in my whole life.  I fall into bed at 9:30 every night (or earlier) and I don’t seem to have a lot of brain energy left over to write anything.   So although I hope to expand on all these updates in further posts... just in case I don’t I will do a quick summary of the “Good” and “Not-so-Good” updates from October.

The Good:

Mystic moved to her new barn for training.  She was very good about trailering and seems to be settling in nicely.



I was able to make enough money to pay for Mystic’s training (which is a small miracle).

The DK saddle that was custom made for Apollo & I was able to be tweaked to fit Mystic.   Mystic wore a bit and bridle for the first time and was a rockstar.  (phone died that day, so sadly no pics)


                                                                                                                                                                                                               

Mystic had a massage from Vitality Equine (thanks to Louisa of With a Western Twist for the recommendation).   I wanted to get a baseline for her so that we could monitor any issues that pop up in future.  Mystic was kind of fidgety at first but eventually realized that getting a massage is a good thing.  Brigitte was wonderful and very patient with the wiggly noodle mare.

One of my friends made Mystic this twinkly bonnet!  

Blurry photo does not do justice to the twinkle!




I’ve been enjoying my weekly lessons with eventing coach, D, and dressage coach, B.  D and I have been hacking out sometimes before our lessons.  We went for a little canter in an open field which was quite fun.  

Me on my Mighty mare!  



I found a new farrier (recommended by previous farrier) to trim Apollo and Henry on the weekends.  Rushing to and from work to catch/hold/put away horses just wasn’t working.  My current farrier will continue to trim Mystic as she lives very close to Mystic’s new home.     

My two-pointober goal was a success!  I started at 3:31 and ended at 11:33 - I'm pretty happy with that. :)  (thanks Red Bull)
 



I ran a 5k Halloween race!  It was actually 6.7kms as per the phone measurement... and very cold.  I dressed as a blind mouse with my two girlfriends (three blind mice....see how they run...!) I had a great time with my fellow blind mice despite the chilly weather.




My husband and I have been hitting the gym together quite a bit.  I’m sure I’ve lost a few pounds but I haven’t remembered to weight myself recently. 


The Not-so-Good:

I haven’t had very much time for Henry and Apollo.  I’ve snuck a few rides in but with extra shifts at work, riding in lessons and the shorter days (it’s pitchblack at 6pm now, thanks daylight savings time) I didn’t get as much done as I wanted. 

Henry was a royal turd for the new farrier, so we'll be having further conversations about that.

I also didn’t do as much work with Mystic as I wanted before she went for training.  I didn’t sit on her or have an “adult pony ride”.  I felt like towards the end of the month I was trying to cram everything in, and that’s not really how I want to approach her training.  She’s super quiet and I probably could have sat on her but I decided to leave it up to the trainer.

On one of my pre-lessson hacks with coach D, her horse’s leg fell into a culvert (covered in grass).  He was sliced up pretty badly.  She quickly used her shirt as a bandage and then organized transport back to the farm (just quietly...this woman is my freakin hero, she was so calm and organized).  Luckily her trusty steed is going to be just fine.  


Trail ears on my Mighty mare before the accident happened. 
 
 


I will hopefully have some photos/updates on Mystic’s training soon.  She started school yesterday!  I hope she is a good girl.  I’m trying really hard not to call the trainer every hour and ask for updates... :)

18 comments:

  1. Yay for settling into the new barn smoothly for training! I cant wait to hear about progress...things definitely seem busy for the better for you! I totally feel your pain for farriers...my girl used to be such a pain with one, but since switching, has been a saint. Hopefully Henry will work it out and it was an off day for your farrier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Henry has become a feral creature D: Hopefully I can get him back on track with a bit more handling this month haha

      Delete
  2. Sounds like life is pretty awesome right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! It's kind of freaking me out!

      Delete
  3. Lots going on! Happy belated Birthday! I'm sure Mystic is going to be great at school, and I wouldn't worry about not getting on her first. That's what you're paying for! I can't wait to read about her progress. Love the race costumes too! So creative!

    www.amateuratlarge.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was an awesome bday :) What a crazy month it was!

      Delete
  4. Aww, the baby is growing up so quick! I hope she rocks her training!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is looking like a grown up horse for sure! :)

      Delete
  5. Wow, what a month! You are a rockstar, thats for sure. Mystic is growing up!

    Love to your boys too! Hope the awesome streak continues!!

    ♡♡♡

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, what a month! You are a rockstar, thats for sure. Mystic is growing up!

    Love to your boys too! Hope the awesome streak continues!!

    ♡♡♡

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it continues too! I think I need a red bull IV to keep up with my life right now haha

      Delete
  7. Sounds like you had a great month. It's always great when the good outweighs the not-so-good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good one for sure! Hoping we'll stay on the "good" track :)

      Delete
  8. wow so much happening - happy birthday!! so exciting about Mystic too, and that Mighty Mare from your lessons looks super neat. glad you're having so much fun right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yeah it's been kind of a whirlwind lately. I love Mighty mare, she's got some fancy buttons!

      Delete
  9. Mystic is a lovely horse. I suspect that she will rock her training. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Busy month - i'm just getting caught up on your posts now! So happy you decided to contact Brigitte, and liked her! I really do think she's a very talented massage therapist - I also have a wiggly (sometimes bitchy) mare and she tolerates her a 100% haha

    ReplyDelete