_

_

Monday, 30 November 2015

Promised Land

Mystic and I had solo ride #2 last night!  

<3




I convinced my husband to join me.  I was a bit nervous to be riding a green horse alone....and I also wanted pictures.  Considering that we had to get up really early on Sunday to take our family Christmas photos (in the freezing cold on the snowy barn lawn) he’s pretty much a saint.


Mystic was ready to go to work the moment I put her saddle on.  I can tell that she’s really enjoying having a job.  I lunged her for a few minutes and then hopped on.  She stands like a rock and is very patient waiting for her cue to move out.  


I forgot my half chaps so I had to ride in my stable boots.  I ride in them a fair bit but in this particular saddle my legs were getting pinched at the trot.  I did a few laps of trot in both directions but mostly walked.  I did lots of big circles and figure 8s.  I rode her with the halter underneath the bridle (like last time) and I am not so great at managing reins/leadropes in my hands at the same time but I muddled through!  


Much muddling


I am still on cloud 9 with Mystic!  For such a green horse she is such a good girl.  She willingly moves into a trot and stays there, but doesn’t get racy.  She also is happy to transition back down to a walk.  She isn’t a complete plug, she tried to drift towards the exit and away from my jump equipment a few times but was easy to correct. 
 
I actually have to keep reminding myself that she’s a green horse.  I stupidly dropped the reins and took off my vest last night while we were stopped last night (wtf is wrong with me? Not good green horse etiquette!).  She stood like a rock.  I feel so safe on her.  When Apollo had thirty days under saddle I did not have to remind myself that he was a green horse!  He bolted quite a bit and was always looking for things to spook at.   



The trainer took Mystic on her first trail ride last Thursday and said she was quite good.  A little nervous at first but she settled after a few minutes. 

Going forward in January/February Mystic will have three trainer rides a week and two rides with me.  That feels very manageable at this point.  I’m waiting to hear back from the trainer about booking lessons and what Mystic’s ride schedule with her will look like.  


Tomorrow I will be rolling out my Spirit of the Season blog giveaway...! :)
 
 

27 comments:

  1. I'm glad that you're having fun with Mystic! What a sweetheart!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much yay for you!! Happy hugs!! That sounds awesome! ! I am really excited to read about Mystic's progress

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much yay for you!! Happy hugs!! That sounds awesome! ! I am really excited to read about Mystic's progress

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! I hope to get some more video soon :)

      Delete
  4. So excited for you! That's just what Midge felt like my first ride, solid and safe and wise beyond her years - sounds like you've got a another good one :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny how some young horses just feel safe! :) And some of the older ones (looking at you Apollo!) do sketchy things sometimes haha

      Delete
  5. This is so exciting! I'm so impressed that she's so quiet and loves her job. What a great/brave trainer taking her out on the trails already! I wish I was more brave and did those things with my horses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is brave for sure! I think she rides with other people (who ride Mystic's pasture mates) so that makes it a lot easier :)

      Delete
  6. She is seriously so cute!! Glad things are going so well with her!!

    Woo hoo giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I love my giant pony! The giveaway is finally up, I'm the slowest human ever.

      Delete
  7. Those first rides are always special. When they go so well it's even better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! I feel pretty lucky these days :)

      Delete
  8. aw yay i am so happy that she's doing so well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm having so much fun with her :)

      Delete
  9. Yay! Glad you are enjoying her!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mystic sounds like a rock star! Glad it's all working out so well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is pretty darn awesome, thanks! :)

      Delete
  11. wooo yay for you and Mystic!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm lucky to have such a chill baby horse :)

      Delete
  12. A baby with a good brain is priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  13. YAY! I'm so, so glad things are going well with Mystic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! We are having lots of fun :)

      Delete