_

_

Tuesday, 24 November 2015

Slipstream

I rode Mystic last Friday morning.  (spoiler alert: it was amazing)





Before I get into the details I just want to touch on how strange this whole “sending a horse for training” thing has been for me.  I was really hoping to be more involved in the process.  The trainer works with young horses during the day (when the arena is quiet – fair enough!) but I wasn’t able to get any time off work.  

I’ve been in charge of everything in Mystic’s world since she was 6months old (3 years!) and now for the past three weeks someone else has been handling her and teaching her new things.  This just feels weird to me.  I knew I didn’t have the skills to continue her training and I’m not able to be there for her training – so I had to trust the trainer.  

I’ve been spending a lot of time with Mystic in the evenings still.  Mostly just grooming and feeding her.  She seems happy and she’s lost a few pounds (which she needed to do).

I was invited to watch the trainer work with her on November 11 as I wasn't working for the holiday.  I didn’t fully know where she was at with her training when I planned that visit.  I was really nervous driving out to the barn that day.   

These were the kind of things rolling around in my mind:

“Did I do enough to prepare her for her training?”

“What if she’s really bad/scary/dangerous under saddle?”

“Am I going to be riding her today?”

“Squeeeeee!  I’m so excited!!! :D”

Mystic had her first ride off the lunge line that day and she was very well-behaved.  I had nothing to worry about after all!   Everything was going so well with Mystic :)


Quick video of the trainer riding Mystic...with my terrible filming skills.




Everything has not being going that well for me otherwise.  I've been really struggling to balance things in my life lately.   I had a rubble-ish lesson with coach D again last Wednesday and came home in tears.  And I wasn't really upset about the lesson.

I'm exhausted from working 50-60 hours a week, managing the care of all my animals, trying to be a decent wife/daughter/friend, working on improving myself as a rider and trying to get into better shape.  Trying to do everything I want to do is really hard.  Maybe impossible.  I had pictured Mystic's training and my life in general looking a bit more like the montage in Dirty Dancing where baby learns to dance.  But sadly no...

After my rough night on Wednesday...I got a text on Thursday morning from Mystic's trainer telling me how well she was doing.  And she asked if I wanted to ride her on Friday morning.

Well.... Ok let's go for it.


So on Friday morning I hit the road with my husband at 6am so I could ride Mystic before I went to work.

Ready to go! 


The trainer rode first and then I hopped on.  It was a pretty surreal moment.  Even though she felt different than any other horse I've ridden I didn't feel nervous or unbalanced on her.  I kind of felt like I'd been riding her forever.  I expected to be riding a baby noodle horse.  She was much smoother and more forward than I anticipated.  I don't think I could have asked for a better first ride.  I'm also happy to report that I didn't look too tall for her!

 Prepare for a media explosion!  Thank goodness my husband was there to cheer me on and take pics/videos. :)
















All the hard work I've been doing felt completely worth it once I got to ride my sweet pony. :)  I am so happy with the wonderful job the trainer has done with her.

30 comments:

  1. You guys looks great together! Congratulations on your milestone ride! Very exciting. And hang in there with the holidays and the long work hours. You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'm over the moon with her :) Wish I had more time/energy to enjoy it.

      Delete
  2. Omgosh! Yaaayyyyy! Baby M!! Hope this turns your days around. Hugs**

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Baby M is a grown up!!!! Ahhh! I'm so excited! :D

      Delete
  3. So many congratulations! You look great up there :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad to hear your ride on her was so great...and ecstatic you mesh so well! What a great turn around from such a crappy week prior :( Hang in there and just keep smiling (fake it till you make it!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was definitely a high point to have a perfect first ride on my baby horse. I will try to hang in there! :)

      Delete
  5. yay i'm so happy you got to ride!!! it must have felt surreal! hopefully this goes a long way towards improving things with the rest of your life :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was wonderful! Such a good pony. Wish I could hang with her every day! :)

      Delete
  6. Congrats on getting to ride your baby. This is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! She was a very good girl :)

      Delete
  7. You and Mystic look wonderful together! So glad you got to ride her. She's doing really well.

    It is hard balancing everything but it will all work out in the end. Hand in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm so happy that I'm not too tall for her, she was a fun ride!
      I hope I can figure out the whole "balance" thing soon :)

      Delete
  8. wow is she ever balanced! I am so happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She felt very balanced! I am a proud horse momma right now :)

      Delete
  9. This is so exciting!!! I bet it's much like how parents feel when they send their kids off to college. But obviously it was the right decision, and things are going great! Mystic looks fantastic, and you look perfect on her!
    I completely get where you're coming from; life with a farm, a full time job, and family/friends is ridiculously full. I feel the same way sometimes. But then our ponies do something wonderful at just the right time and we remember why we kill ourselves to fit it all in. You're doing a great job!

    www.amateuratlarge.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So exciting! That is a great analogy. I hoped that I prepared her enough to be a "real horse", and either I did or she's just awesome because she's been a very good girl.

      The highs and lows of horse ownership...one night I"m crying because I'm so tired...the next night I'm sending Mystic's video to all my friends and gushing about how wonderful she is. Hopefully things even out a bit soon!:)

      Delete
  10. We love your super equestrian blog, so why not come and post it for more coverage at Haynet, the UK's No1 Equine Blogging Network! Come and visit us at www.hay-net.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aw what a good girl! I'm glad that she was able to cheer you up. You guys look great together and you definitely don't look to tall on her.

    P.S. My last post definitely wasn't referring to having babies started. I got on Indy a few times and then sent her to someone else to get really going. Training for babies is the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy that I don't look giant on her. I was starting to get worried! She was such an easy ride! I feel like I have to stop saying that before I jinx myself :P

      Oh and I totally knew your last post wasn't about having babies started, more about continued training and skills. I definitely don't have the skills to start a baby but I'd like to learn other stuff with them down the road.

      Delete
  12. So cool you got to ride her! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yay!!! Mystic looks awesome and you look awesome on her! :D I'm so happy training is going well. I would be so anxious sending a horse off too, but if I get another young horse I think that's the route I'm going to go. They get such a better start with a professional than how I've done (so slow) with Chrome.

    I'm sorry everything has been so hard lately. I hope things settle down so you can do the things you love to do. I can sort of relate (although not quite as many hours) with being so busy. I don't have time to do anything and then when I do have time off it's always raining. So yeah I feel a tiny morsel of your pain. Hugs!! Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! She was such a good girl for me. I am riding her again tomorrow (without the guidance of the trainer) so hopefully her good behavior continues :)

      Sounds like you feel my pain big time! I know all my hard work is totally worth it...just isn't fun sometimes. :( Hopefully things will start running smoothly soon!

      Delete