_

_

Thursday, 31 December 2015

Big Changes for Henry

If I had a dollar for every time I said “This horse is driving me nuts!” about Henry…  I would have bought a horse trailer already.  


Who me?

 
He licks everything and is constantly untying himself and getting into trouble.  It’s painfully obvious that he needs to have a job.   I had been putting it off sending him for training for financial and timing reasons but I can’t put it off any longer.  



I have booked him in for training on February 1st

I gave his notice at the barn today and booked the haul.  I have a good friend (who knows Henry and his antics well) who recommended someone for him.  His rates are a bit more affordable than Mystic’s trainer so I’m going to go with my friend’s suggestion.



After training there will be big changes. 

I have offered the ride on Henry to Coach D.  She lost her competition horse last year in a freak accident.  She has mentioned several times that she likes quirky horses.  I sent her a few videos of Henry’s two grandsires tearing sh*t up on cross country and I think she was pretty excited!  We are going to play it by ear.  If once he’s finished training they aren’t a match, that’s totally okay.  It would be wonderful to for him to have a job and be ridden by someone I trust. 



If it doesn’t work out I will be listing him for sale. 

I love the little weirdo so much.  It’s not fair to him to sit in a field and go bonkers when he needs to be doing something.  Selling him would be extremely hard for me (as I’ve mentioned before when I’ve waffled about it on my blog).  He reminds me a lot of Blue; they were both quirky odd ducks.



It’s hard to admit that sometimes the best thing for your horse is a different owner.  I’ve done my best but I think he deserves better.  He deserves more time, patience and one-on-one attention than I can give at this point.

In January I will be working with him as much as possible.  I want to give him as much of a job as I’m able to before he goes off to school. 

I hope I’m doing the right thing here.  My gut tells me that it is.  But my heart wants to go cry in the fetal position. 


18 comments:

  1. Hugs! Hoping for the best with Henry and coach D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope they like eachother! That would be the most pain-free option for me at this point haha

      Delete
  2. I totally understand :( Tough decisions, fingers crossed it all goes as easily as possible for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks T. I'm just going to take it a step at a time. :)

      Delete
  3. Sounds like very exciting stuff!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope it works out with the coach, but I support you selling him if you decide to. He should have a job and his own person to dote on him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be so amazing if my coach wanted to ride him for a while, even in the short-term. Fingers crossed!

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a wonderful plan! I hope things work out with Coach D, how perfect that would be for all of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be soooo perfect. I sure hope it works out!

      Delete
  6. Ohhh exciting stuff for Henry!! Can't wait to see how his training goes!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Big changes for him for sure! I think he will be happy to have a job :)

      Delete
  7. I hope he ends up a great match for someone! And think of how much more exciting things you'll get to do with Apollo and Mystic if they're you're only two. Of course, if he sticks around, that will be fun too! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm quite curious to see what 2016 brings for us! Hopefully the trainer can handle his weirdness haha

      Delete
  8. Sending Henry for training is a great idea. He may be a totally different horse when he comes back. Hope the trainer and he make a good connection. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope he's a good student for the trainer. I'm excited to see how it goes :)

      Delete
  9. aw good luck. you know your horses the best, and hopefully the situation and best choices moving forward will be more clear after he starts training!

    ReplyDelete
  10. There are actually a handful of us bloggers all in similar boats. It's so tough, but at the end of the day, we're amateurs and here to have fun/ Hugs to you and I'm keeping my fingers crossed for great results!

    ReplyDelete