_

_

Tuesday, 22 December 2015

Flyin' Shoes

Apollo and I had such a great weekend!  We hacked out on the property on Saturday (because it was warm-ish).  He was a bit spicy and forward but was quite good.  






I wanted a leisurely stroll through the picturesque snowy property.  Apollo wanted to go DASHING THROUGH THE @$&@%$#&%@ SNOW.  We compromised and did some walk-trot sets and went in and out of the deeper snow.   He originally tried to tackle the deeper snow by bouncing through it like a deer.  It was kind of hilarious...I laughed so hard I almost fell off. 


Kinda like this...






On Sunday D came out and gave us a lesson.  She was really happy with how the Verhan fit both of us.  She agreed that it’s a touch wide for him and a bit short in the flap for me but that overall it’s about as good as we’ll ever get without going completely custom (which we have tried before...).  I’m still on cloud 9 that I can post the trot properly!  I keep meaning to do more rides in the treeless saddle because I know Apollo really likes it.  But I haven’t ridden in it once since I bought the Verhan.  #sorrynotsorry

There were four dogs playing in the arena as I rode (mine, D’s and the two resident barn dogs).  Apollo didn’t care at all. I  feel lucky that my boy is a cool cucumber.  J

D said that because I had a proper saddle now that she’s going to make us jump stuff. 



We did a pattern that either started or ended on a cross rail.  We even did a bit of leg yielding and canter work.  Which were both rusty but not horrible.  I got to practice my half halts quite a bit!

Apollo was so pumped when we headed towards the cross rail.  His ears pricked up and he locked onto his little fence.  I’m normally such a weenie about jumping but I really had fun jumping him.  D said that my position looked solid and balanced.  #thanksverhan


Our "course", a cross rail, three ground poles in a straight line and a fan



Various paths through the course.. :) 





D is really keen to for me to take Apollo to events this year.  She really likes his attitude and way of going.  There’s a schooling show at the end of February that she’s planning to go to – and she wants to bring us!  



Crossrail, glorious crossrail 




My mind is kind of blown right now.  A year ago I had no horses to ride.  I was paying for three and riding none.  I was pretty bummed out about riding.  What a difference a year makes!  A sound happy Apollo and a new saddle that fits us is the best Christmas gift ever!

24 comments:

  1. Some really cool drawings!! And picturing you both in the deeper snow makes me LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish the ground poles were actually rainbow in real like haha :)

      Delete
  2. I wish you'd gone dashing through the snow! It looks so pretty and fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you had a great weekend! So happy that the saddle worked out for both of you. It makes all the difference. Looks like a nice starter course to hone your skills. I love jumping but haven't for some time ,have fun with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an awesome weekend, it's so wonderful to have a saddle that fits! Maybe you should get back into jumping too :)

      Delete
  4. I would love to see you guys jump! ENABLER!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Part of me really wants D to take a video (because it feels awesome). But I'm a little afraid that it doesn't look awesome. We'll see! :)

      Delete
  5. Yes! You totally need to come event this summer

    ReplyDelete
  6. oooh i love that exercise (and will definitely steal it haha). i'm so happy that you finally have all the pieces coming together with sound horses, fitting saddles and enthusiastic supportive trainers! yay for looking forward to jumping and showing!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should, it's fun (but a bit hard actually, harder than it looks really). I am over the moon about my saddle, it would sure be fun if we could show! :)

      Delete
  7. Oooh pretty snow! I'm glad it still hasn't hit my area yet so we get more time with ice-less trails lol Love Apollo's mane in that between the ears shot <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks pretty for sure! It makes me a little nervous because I know there is one big hole on the front lawn, I remember the general area and have been avoiding it...but I don't like that I can't see the ground!

      Delete
  8. That's a lot of snow! Those exercises look fun. Sounds like a great lesson.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was for sure! It was such a great lesson :)

      Delete
  9. So exciting! I can't wait to hear all about your adventures with Apollo showing! I'm too much of a weenie to ride around in the snow, but I bet it was a ton of fun. It's been weirdly warm here, supposed to be 70 tomorrow! So strange. But I can't wait to ride without a coat on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Riding in the snow made me a little nervous at first but it's great exercise for the ponies (so they are tired faster...win!). I just have to keep in mind where the big hole is on the front lawn! I can't wait to ride without a coat on too!

      Delete
  10. So beautiful! I miss those bright sunny, snowy days. I'm so happy for you, here's to many more great rides!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a beautiful day! I'm happy to finally have some good news about my big pony :)

      Delete
  11. Oh that jump set up looks really cool! I like stuff where I have to always be thinking!

    The snow is beautiful! I wonder what Henry would do in snow!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It made my brain work hard for sure! I bet Henry would love it :)

      Delete