_

_

Sunday, 13 December 2015

TRM November BlogHop: 25 Questions



Yeah I'm late to the party as always, but I still want to answer the 25 questions from That Red Mare! :)



1. Mares or Geldings? Why?  Both!  I've always had geldings but I sure love my little mare.





2. Green-broke of Fully Broke? Ha... good question.  If I had to buy a new horse tomorrow I would buy a fully broke horse.  I'm enjoying the learning process of bringing along green horses but a finished horse would be nice too.


3. Would you own a "hotter" breed (ie. Arabian, Trakhener, etc) Sure, as long as they have a brain!


4. What was your "dream horse" growing up?  Probably the Black Stallion, he was pretty awesome.



5. What kind of bit(s) do you use and why? I ride in a french link and also go bitless quite often.



6. Helmet or no helmets?  100% helmets.


Every ride. Every time.  Even when you look like a bowling ball.



7. Favorite horse color?  Nothing looks classier to me than a dapple grey.


8. Least favorite horse color?  I'm not crazy about palominos and buckskins.  But I think that feeling is the result of knowing quite a few recently that were nuts.


9. Dressage or jumping?  Both!


10. How many years have you been riding?  On and off for 23ish years :)  


First helmet!



11. Spurs/whip or no spurs/whip? I'm not against the use of them but I'm terrible at remembering to hold a whip and I've never ridden in spurs.... so for now I say no spurs/whip.


12. Your first fall?  Riding a horse named Cricket in a hay field with my dad in the winter.  I was about 8 years old.  She took off for home and I couldn't stop her.  As she ran into the yard I was pretty sure that she was going to try to jump a fence to get back in with her herd, so I bailed into the snow.  


13. When was the last time you rode and what did you do?  I rode Apollo yesterday (in my new saddle!) and we did walk/trot work over poles.  Working on our fitness!


14. Most expensive piece of tack you own?  My custom made DK saddle.... no comment.





15. How old were you when you started riding?  7 years old!


16. Leather or Nylon halters? Leather is nicer but I'm cheap... so I have more nylon than leather in my collection.


17. Leather or synthetic saddles?  Either.  I only have leather saddles now but I'd be open to a synthetic again. I rode in a wintec for a lot of my high school years and being able to hose it off was pretty awesome.


18. What "grip" of reins do you like?  I like leather laced reins.  The thinner the better!  I ride with thick rubber reins in my dressage lesson and I hate them.


19. English or Western? English.  Saddle is lighter and you can jump stuff.


20. How many horses do you currently own/lease?  I am owned by three horses.


21. Do you board your horse? Self-care/full board? Home board?  I board all three.  They're all on pasture board so hay is provided but I'm in charge of blanketing and grain/supplements.  I hope to have them boarded at home one day!


22. Have you ever had to put down a horse that you loved?  I did.

I sure miss my old boy sometimes.




23. How many saddle pads do you have?  I could always have more!  Probably 15-ish.  Only about 7 I actually like/use.


24. Slant-load trailer of straight haul?   Slant-load.


25. Why do you ride? I love it more than words can describe.  Even when I'm afraid/terrified/exhausted I will never quit.  Riding makes my heart happy.


<3






11 comments:

  1. Awesome answers. At least you had a nice snowy landing for your first fall!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a soft landing for sure! Which is lucky :)

      Delete
  2. Aw the helmets with the chin bra that tortured thousands of our generation ... thank goodness for modern day helmets! Great answers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bahahaha! Chin bra! That's so accurate!

      Delete
    2. Omg chin bra! Nothing has described those hideous chin straps better

      Delete
  3. I love reading these. If it wasn't halfway through December and I wasn't so behind on real life, I'd jump on board too!
    Great job with your illustrations too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was supposed to be for November so I'm pretty behind myself haha

      Delete
  4. ha every horse i've ever known named Cricket had a bolt in them lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's hilarious! I've only ever known the one... she taught me how to ride, in a trial by fire sort of way haha

      Delete