_

_

Tuesday, 29 December 2015

Wash, Rinse, Review

I’m really proud of what I accomplished in 2015.  It wasn’t my easiest year but it was one of my best.   I just want to skim over some of the especially big moments from the year!



My friend sent me this, and it kind of became my motto for 2015




I had a rough start to 2015.  I gave up on eventing (for the millionth time) and moved Mystic and Apollo back to the safe haven of my previous barn.  I was incredibly bummed out.  To be honest I had moments where I seriously thought about getting out of horses all together.  I didn't really share that on the blog, but it was pretty obvious my enthusiasm was dwindling.




Somehow I persevered.  I started chipping away at my skills with dressage lessons, got an equine nutritionist on board and continued an endless search for a saddle for Apollo.

In the spring things started turning around.  I found Apollo a temporary saddle.   We started ditch riding and getting back in the groove.  I booked Mystic in for training in the fall.



When summer rolled around I was able to go on a trail adventure with a good friend.  Apollo blew my mind with how well he stepped up for me that day.  I started to have fun when I was riding again (not worrying about lameness with every step).  




I ran two 5ks in the summer also!



In September Coach D joined the team.  She pushed me way out of my comfort zone but is the most positive human being alive.  I started to feel like maybe I didn't suck as much as I thought.  D immediately loved Apollo and encourages me to get him a proper saddle and a real job.



In November I rode Mystic for the first time.  Which is pretty much a dream come true.  I felt safe on her and like I belonged there.  This alone could have made 2015.






In December I found a unicorn – a saddle that fits Mystic....and Apollo.  I even jumped things on Apollo!  (And I was so happy that I will almost cried).







What a year!  The fact that I now have two sound horses who are going so well under saddle makes my heart want to explode.  I had a lot of support this year from my husband, family and good friends.  There was a lot of tough moments but I’m really proud of myself – I didn’t quit (even though I wanted to...a lot).    


I will be doing a detailed goal-planning post for 2016 shortly J  

15 comments:

  1. You've worked so hard and accomplished so much this year! Happy that you are getting the good things you deserve :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post. It shows what perserverence can do. Good for you- you should be proud of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you! I can't believe I finally found a saddle for me and Apollo, that was a pretty big win :)

      Delete
  3. In the past I have had my moments too, wanting to give it all up. So glad things are going your way. Enjoy those two ponies in 2016!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those moments are so hard, and feel like they're never going to end. 2016 is going to be our year! :)

      Delete
  4. yay for finding the silver linings...I can empathize on it being a hard year, but sounds like you have some great moments. Horses have a way of pushing us to the edge ;) I am glad youre still riding!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad I didn't quite :) Silver linings for sure!

      Delete
  5. What a great way to finish out the year! Nice work! Can't wait to see what's ahead for 2016!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :) 2016 is gonna be awesome!

      Delete
  6. Glad you stuck it out and everything worked out for you. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You definitely finished the year on a high note!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll say! I sure wouldn't have believed where I'd at the end of 2015 if someone told me at the beginning :)

      Delete
  8. i'm so happy this year turned around for you - so many big and happy things happened!!! and YAY YAY YAY for finally finding solutions to the saddle woes!!!! :D

    ReplyDelete