_

_

Sunday, 24 January 2016

Get a Haircut and Get a Real Job

Henry leaves for school in a week!  I'm kind of a bundle of excitement/nerves at this point. 


This was on the back of our Xmas card :) 
 


I'm really looking forward to the trainer's thoughts on him.  And I'm trying not to think too far into the future (ie. if Coach D doesn't want to ride him....how the eff will I have time to ride him?  And my daily feelings about keeping him longterm waffle by the hour...




I didn't do much with him last week but we had a fun liberty/in-hand session yesterday.  He's actually quite fun to play with at liberty. 




I also gave him his spring "hair cut" a bit early.  I don't pull manes (I suck at it and I read some article a million years ago that claimed it was painful that continues to haunt me).  I cut them.
Señor Bowlcut

 

I know this is a bit cringe-worthy to most proper equestrians but it works ok for me!  I do one big cut and then slowly even it out over a week or two.  I didn't want Henry's long winter mane getting in the way at the trainer's place.  I also banged his tail again.


Tarpmaster Henry



He has a hair cut and is ready to get a real job! :)

18 comments:

  1. Henry is ready for his first day of Kindergarten! So exciting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait! I hope he's a good boy for the trainer :)

      Delete
  2. He's such a cutie!

    I don't pull mane either. I use the Solocomb - it works pretty well and I don't get an angry, ouchy gelding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to give that a try! Haven't heard of it :)

      Delete
  3. I'm sure he will be a super star at school! He's adorable. Good luck to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He's really cute - you must be super excited!
    My oddball pony actually loves getting his mane pulled, it puts him to sleep.
    I'm too usually lazy, so we cut and use thinning scissors for the faux-pulled look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's too funny that he loves it! It feels like a head/neck massage to him :)

      Delete
  5. I'm all about cutting. Screw proper, pulling is creepy. ..imo.

    Eek going off to kindergarten, Henry! ! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm way too lazy to pull hahah! It makes me feel better to have some solidarity ;) Hooray for kindergarten!

      Delete
  6. I don't pull manes either...my horses hate it and I don't have the patience to do it right. I have one with a roached mane and "pull" the others with an old clipper blade (redneck solo comb lol!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to roach all of their manes.... I think Henry and Apollo would look ok but Mystic has a short neck...not sure it would be a the best look for her. I'm going to try your technique :)

      Delete
  7. I hate pulling. But I have no choice. My boys mane is to thick otherwise. Good luck at school Henry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard work (and I personally have always been terrible at it). Thanks, I hope he's a good boy :)

      Delete
  8. I only cringe about mane cutting when I have to braid it! Cutting leaves the ends all the same length so when you tie off the braid, there's no taper and the knot doesn't hold well. But if you're not braiding, cut away! You do a nice job so it doesn't look cut. I pull any manes that need braiding, but my retiree and if I have a jumper, they all get cut. I hold the scissors up and down instead of sideways to get a more natural look.
    Good luck to Henry at school! If his standing on the tarp is any indication, he has a great mind, and I bet he'll enjoy training! Can't wait to read all about it!

    www.amateuratlarge.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahah that does sound annoying! I guess I'll see how my janky cutting job holds up to occasional braiding this summer :P I haven't braided in like 15 years...gonna be interesting.
      I can't wait for training!! It's so weird that I'm going to have three broke horses soon.

      Delete
  9. I'm so excited about Henry going to "school" lol. Hopefully his future will become more clear soon enough;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope so too. I think after he's trained I'll be able to better assess what to do. :)

      Delete