_

_

Saturday, 9 January 2016

Near Misses

Wednesday was a crazy day!

I had my first official lesson on Mystic scheduled bright and early today (7:30am – egads!).  I left my house at 5:45.  I wanted to give myself a little extra time because I was pretty sure the roads would be bad.  And they were horrible, so that was a good call!

I waited forever at the world’s slowest light, which is of at the intersection between my house and the coffee joint.  Finally it turned green!  I pulled out into the intersection.  And saw a huge truck coming straight towards me, moments away from t-boning me.  I stomped hard on the gas and braced for the impact…and nothing.  I must have squeaked out of his path just in time.  Whew!   

Hopefully running a red light and almost pancaking a poor innocent Corolla was a wake-up call for the other driver.

I arrived at the barn in one piece.  Mystic ran over to greet me when I arrived.  I had this feeling that we were going to have a great ride.



We did not! 

The trainer has been riding her in the DK lately, which is fitting pretty well (she got a bit too fat for it at one point).  So I rode in the DK that morning, for the first time in a long time.  

It felt like shit.  





I was actually struggling to post the trot in a normal way because the DK was doing something weird to my balance.  I was fighting so hard against being tipped forward for most of the ride.   Which made me tense.  Which made her tense.  I think I’ll be riding her in my Verhan from now on.  #savemeverhan





Mystic was also a bit sassy!  I struggled to find a nice relaxed pace and my steering was a bit dodgey.   The trainer says that Mystic naturally goes onto the bit.  Tell that to the giraffe I rode!  It’s not her fault at all, that was certainly not the best riding I have ever done.  I had a fleeting moment where she sort of did a mini-bolt towards the exit…I thought for sure she was going to dump me.  But no!  Whew!


There were some nice moments.   I still feel really safe on her and still love riding her (x 1 million).  I just need to step up my riding game more than I realized!  The trainer said I was being "too nice" and needed to raise my expectations of her behavior.  Which is a very fair assessment.


It occurred to me later that I really suck at putting horses on the bit.  I can muddle my way there with well-schooled horses but for green/less-schooled creatures I really suck.  I think my too-long reins, open hands and somewhat weak/unsteady core are major issues in achieving this.   If anyone has any other helpful suggestions – let me know! I’m all ears. 


I blow-dryed Mystic for the first time ever after our lesson.   I don’t think I have ever blow-dryed her and the trainer said that she hasn’t either.  I thought it might freak her out.  But no - she loved it!   She even let me blow-dry her face.  #bestbabyponyevaaaa



On my drive home I have to drive up a giant hill.  It’s a bit scary.  But it’s always cleared and well-gravelled.  Except for Wednesday.  Looking ahead I saw two trucks fishtailing on their trip up the big hill.  I was past the point of turning around… so I drove incredibly slowly up the hill.  Almost too slow to make it up. But somehow I did.  Whew!    

I had a lot of lucky breaks on Wednesday!   That night I stayed home in my pjs and watched netflix... because I had enough excitement for one day before noon.

I have something exciting in the works for Apollo.  Looks like we will be having our show debut in February!  And Henry goes to school in 23 days!  More to come shortly :)

23 comments:

  1. I think that both you and Mystic did well given the circumstances. There's nothing worse than trying to ride in a saddle that doesn't fit you- unless it's riding a green horse.
    As for methods of getting a horse on the bit I would recommend not trying to get them on the bit but let her find and take the bit. Keep your hands soft and flowing and she will take contact and find you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the tips! It was not a great ride on my part for sure. I will try out your suggestions!

      Delete
  2. Love the last pic! So cute, baby horse!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you made it home in one piece!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like a bit of a nerve wracking day! Love Teresa's advice re: on the bit. I wonder too if that's contributing to you feeling tipped forward (she's green and probably a little on the forehand if she's not working thru/on the bit?) It sounds like you're both doing really well though,can't wait to hear your show plans :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was! I think the saddle was a huge part of my struggle :)

      Delete
  5. A pretty exciting day all in all. It sounds like you're both doing well. Even though she's with a trainer you shouldn't expect too much too fast and take the little successes as they come. It takes a lot of little steps to build on and a lot of time. As for putting her on the bit, well, let that come naturally. Use a following hand with a light feel and things will drop into place when she finds the proper contact. Putting a horse "on the bit" shouldn't be forced but found. Just my opinion. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mystic sounds like a really nice youngster. I feel like horses that have some QH in them end up having a really good brain. Most of the time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She has a great brain! She's not a total plug but she generally a pretty sensible steed :)

      Delete
  7. dont beat yourself up about getting a young horse on the bit. That shit is hard! They still dont understand it and all the things that work on a seasoned horse wont work on a green one. Mystic sounds wonderful and I like a bit of sass! It spices things up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. thank goodness those were all "near" misses! sounds like scary driving conditions! and i'm right there with ya about muddling around trying to put horses on the bit. it's still such a puzzle for me haha, and i'm pretty sure the way i get isabel connected is just how we've figured it out through codependency, rather than how it actually should be lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a crazy day! Yeah I hope Mystic and I figure it out eventually haha :)

      Delete
  9. Ugh, what a day! I'm glad you survived. Definitely try the saddle you're more comfortable in next time. Fighting against your saddle ruins even an easy ride. Can't wait to hear your Apollo news!

    www.amateuratlarge.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh and also, getting horses on the bit? MORE LEG! The answer is always more leg.

      Delete
    2. I definitely don't use enough leg! I will think about that for sure :)

      Delete
  10. Scary driving! Glad you made it home safely. Mystic takes such cute pictures! Sooo cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was nuts! Thanks! My friend took that pic for me :)

      Delete
  11. Sounds like a lot of exciting things going on, though eek driving- do stay safe!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of exciting things for sure! Hopefully exciting things on nice roads haha :)

      Delete