_

_

Saturday, 13 February 2016

Peaks and Valleys


I have so much to catch up on writing about (and many blogs to read!!).  I'm off work this week - so expect to hear a lot from me ;)

First up - Henry's move!





Last Sunday morning the hauler arrived right on time.  Mr. Henry hopped right in (good boy!).  The hauler followed me as I had a map to the property on my phone...

Turns out that the map on the trainer’s facebook page is only a map to the small town that he lives near.  Once we got to the town we had almost no cell reception.  I spent a lot of time driving to the tops of hills trying to call the trainer.  I got him on the phone once or twice but couldn’t hear him at all. 

In a moment where I did have reception my husband called me.  My dog Toby was having a seizure.  He didn’t think that Toby was going to make it.  I was pretty upset but tried to keep it together.  I was over an hour and a half away from home at this point and still had to deliver Henry.  I allowed myself a two minute cry and then carried on with the business at hand.


Toby and I last winter (his feet were cold, he was frozen Toby...aka Froby)



I ended up getting a girl from Coach D’s barn on the phone.  She dropped a pin for us at the exact location of the farm.  I owe her a gigantic bottle of wine.

The only issue was that at some point the range road names had all been changed to streets.  Both numbers...totally unrelated to eachother.  Google only gave directions with the range roads.  So that left us lost again.  The hauler was able to call the coordinates from the dropped pin into Onstar and then I followed him. 

A one hour haul took over two hours.  Poor Henry! 

He was a very good boy in the trailer.  When he hopped off he seemed to settle right in (because there was a haynet waiting for him).  The other horses on the property look healthy and happy.  The photos shared below are from my visit with Henry on Wednesday.  He had a pen to himself for the first few days so he could settle in.  



Henry you have a little something on your face...




I have talked to the trainer on the phone quite a bit and he seemed even nicer in person.  He seems super calm and patient – which is just what Henry needs!  He’s a cowboy but specializes in starting warmbloods.  There is a local breeder (who breeds very fancy WBs) who uses him quite a bit and I saw some of her horses there.  The only worry in the back of my mind is how icy it is at the trainer’s property.  It’s icy everywhere right now (including Henry’s previous barn) so I’m trying to not let it bother me.  One of my favourite horses at the dressage barn I worked at slipped and fractured his pelvis last winter.  He was only two years old and was the most sensible young horse ever.  Sadly he had to be put down.

Maybe I was just feeling super emotional that day (uhhh yes) but seeing Henry prancing and eating in his new temporary home made me fall in love with him all over again.  He looked so grown up and fancy.  I couldn’t believe that he was my horse.  I felt really lucky and grateful.  If he wasn't already my horse I would have wanted to buy him!




I wish I could have stayed longer to help him settle in.  Unfortunately I decided that I needed to get back home and see what was going on with Toby.  My husband said that he seemed to be feeling better, just a bit groggy. 


When I came home Toby had a ton of energy and seemed like himself.  I called a few of the emergency vets and they had no appointments available and the wait would be 4+ hours.  

I chatted with my vet tech friend who told me just to take him into his regular vet during the week, unless he had another episode.  Both of my dogs have been a little funny about the new bag of food I got (same brand as usual).  Usually they scarf all their food down very quickly; but ever since I opened the new bag they’ve both been a bit tentative.  I decided to throw it out and buy a new bag/brand all together.  My gut tells me that something was off with it.  Hopefully that was the problem, the bloodwork all came back normal.


Hope you are ok buddy! <3



I have a few updates from Henry's trainer to share tomorrow!  And have a post in the works on my new show wardrobe (which is 95% complete!).


20 comments:

  1. Omg my heart fell for you reading he might not make it. Glad to hear he rebounded. Hope he gets better and better. What a scare.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I was pretty upset about the whole thing. So far he seems to be his usual self :)

      Delete
  2. Seizures are so scary! My pug Pia used to have them when she was younger, and it was awful. I think she's outgrown them as I haven't seen her have one in several years. I hope Toby's seizure was a one time thing!
    I'm so glad Henry's arrival with the trainer went better than the drive. Ugh, what a day! I can't wait to read all the updates!

    www.amateuratlarge.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was super scary! I felt bad for my husband, it sounds like it was a pretty violent seizure to witness. Toby has seemed fine all week so that's a good thing :)

      Delete
  3. Ugh seizures are scary. Toby is super adorable. Can't wait to hear about Henry and his training.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a stressful day for sure! Updates about Henry's training coming shortly ;)

      Delete
  4. Now that was an ordeal. I would have been losing it I think, so good for you for keeping it together. Henry looks terrific and I can't wait to hear the updates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ordeal is the perfect word! I felt like my sanity was hanging on by a thread that day. Toby and Henry both seem to be doing well :)

      Delete
  5. I'm glad that Toby is doing okay now. Henry looks happy and ready to get to work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Henry has been a good boy for a trainer. And Toby is still seizure free this week so that's a relief :)

      Delete
  6. I'm glad your pup is okay, and I hope he continues feeling good! God - that would have been the worst situation to be in.

    It'll be exciting to see Henry's progress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a stressful day! Henry update coming shortly :)

      Delete
  7. I hope your puppy stays okay. That must have been so scary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I aged 5 years in one day! Toby seems to be fine now, which is awesome :)

      Delete
  8. omg that whole shipping ordeal sounds so stressful! glad you got such a good vibe from the trainer tho, and even better news that your dog seems to be feeling better. fingers crossed!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Toby seems normal this week (well Toby normal anyway) so that is a huge relief. That was about enough stress for 2016 in one day haha :)

      Delete
  9. What a crazy day, so glad everything is ok. I used to have a little black peekapoo who seized up a few times. He always pulled out of them just fine but they were scary. Toby is too cute :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks! :) Did you ever figure out why your pup had them?

      Delete
  10. Hoping Toby AND Henry are doing ok!! They both look pretty happy though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far so good this week! They seem to be their usual happy selves :)

      Delete