_

_

Monday, 28 March 2016

Catch Up

At some point I hope to find a few more hours in the day so I don’t feel like every post is a catch up post!  But for now this one is :)


Irrelevant fat cat pic. 
 

 


1)      I sold my fugly saddle.  In three minutes.

I had been riding Apollo in it quite a bit lately (because I was sick of playing the traveling pants saddle game with the Verhan).  But he was kind of wild on our trail ride last Tuesday... and I can’t sit properly in the saddle because my legs are too long for it.  Enough is enough.  I don’t like riding it in and I felt like it was slipping around too much when things were a bit dicey.  I decided I’d rather just dealing with the annoyance of sharing the Verhan.  Luckily for me it sold almost instantly to a good friend of mine.


Bye Felicia. 






2)      Mystic Update...

Slow and steady progress on the canter is happening!  I’ve been taking a lot of the suggestions on my last post to heart (thank you!).  I’ve been riding her quite a bit lately and I’m having so much fun with her!  She has a few days off after a chiro treatment and I’m excited to get back to work.  I’ve set up a few trail ride "dates" for her and am hoping my husband can take some pictures of us this coming weekend.  We are going to two schooling shows in April.  One over ground poles on April 16 and one over crossrails on April 30


Yay for trail rides!






4)      Apollo Updates...

Apollo is yet again “too sound”.  Trying to slowly bring him back into work from his splint/check ligament issue has been challenging.  I decided to stick to walking only for most of March and gradually increase the duration of our rides.  And I opted to ride outside a few times because the arena footing is kind of deep.  He starts off really nicely but it kind of snowballs into a frantic trot-shaped-like-a-walk prance with Apollo ignoring my half halts.  It’s not very fun.  I was swearing at him last Tuesday because my arms and body were so tired... IS IT SO HARD TO GO FOR A WALK OUTSIDE WITHOUT PRANCING LIKE AN IDIOT YOU CRAZY OLD MAN?!?!  

His recent behavior has given me clarity on the following points:

1)      He needs to be ridden at least 4 days a week.  Probably 5 or 6 if possible.
2)      At this point I don’t think he’ll be a very fun horse for my husband to ride.*
*But this is part of his job in the family, so we need to work on this.

I’ve decided to take him to a competitive trail intro ride on May 14.  I don’t really care if I go or not so if it doesn’t work out I won’t be upset (this is the only attitude to have when trying to do anything with Apollo).  I would still like to get him off property to a show where we jump tiny things but I haven’t quite figured out when the hell I’m going to do that yet.






5) Henry Update...

The barnsby jump saddle from my aunt did not fit... at all.  I have one more saddle to try.  Coach D is on board to come and help us.  He comes home in 5 (!) days.  Holy crap!


This saddle is kind of our last hope.  This is a picture of him trying it on a year ago.  The shape was right but it was too wide (here's hoping he has filled out a bit since then...?)

 

6) Lesson Update 

After my lighter lesson schedule in March I’ll be kicking things into gear in April to get ready for show season (YAY! SHOWS!).  I will be back taking dressage lessons, Coach D lessons, lessons from Mystic’s trainer and I’m trying out a few lessons with another instructor at Mystic’s barn.

 

7)  Blog Update...

When I said my schedule is bananas in April.... I was not exaggerating.  I will be riding pretty much every day, sometimes two or more horses.  For once I have written a buttload of content in advance that will post automatically for me (if I did it properly...).  I wrote a little series on things I’ve learned in the horseworld that will be popping up on Wednesdays.  I also have been playing with my bunnies quite a bit lately so there will be a return of Monday Bunday!  I will be doing most of my blog reading/writing when I’m working at the gym on Friday/Saturday nights and that will likely be the only time I have a chance to catch up and write any other updates.


Whew! 

25 comments:

  1. You have so many exciting things going on right now...good luck with it all! I have considered doing a weekly installment series on my blog but I'm not sure what exactly to focus on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of big stuff, hope I can handle it haha :)

      Delete
  2. You sound like you're going to be very busy with fun stuff! Have a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As someone who constantly overbooks myself, just remember, we do this for fun. If you remember that when it feels slighlty overwhelming it really helps. (I love your attitude about taking Apollo to the competitive trail ride)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will keep that in mind, thanks for your words of wisdom :)

      Delete
  4. busy lady!!!! it sounds like things are really getting rolling for you tho - lots and lots and LOTS of exciting stuff coming your way! good luck with the saddle fit and Henry coming home, and getting Apollo to acquiesce a little more nicely to his return to fitness haha :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still have another saddle to try on Henry, fingers crossed! I hope Apollo gets on board too hahah

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a lot of fun! Remember to breath;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Best of luck in April! It's a crazy month for sure! Congrats on selling the saddle so quickly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, normally saddle-selling in a long painful process! :)

      Delete
  7. Welcome to the hectic world of having several horses in work! It's a little crazy, but it's so much fun! Sounds like things are going along pretty well with everyone! I bet Apollo will settle down once he's in more consistent/harder work. Maybe on the days you want hubs to ride him you can give him a lunge to get some of the excess energy out.
    I can't wait to read all about all the exciting things to come in April!

    www.amateuratlarge.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope Apollo breaks through the spring fever soon! Teach me how to juggle multiple horses! It's overwhelming to think about.

      Delete
    2. I pretty much eat garbage and don't sleep much... But hey, a little delirium just adds to the fun times ;)

      Delete
  8. Cat pictures are never irrelevant.

    Riding vs blogging? No contest. Trade daily blogs for daily rides? In a heartbeat. Actually, I'm a wee bit jealous. Okay, I'm a lot jealous. Alright, I'm a seething pile of molten envy. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love my fat cat! Oh dear, molten envy! I won't get any sleep in April, that's nothing to be jealous of :P

      Delete
  9. Busy busy! But it's all good busy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It totally is, this is what I've been waiting for....it kind of scares the crap outta me though haha

      Delete
  10. So busy! But sound's like a lot of fun stuff lined up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is definitely lots of big stuff in April, I'm looking forward to it :)

      Delete