_

_

Saturday, 5 March 2016

Just a Little Bird Floating on Hurricane

Even though I didn't go to the show I’m still really happy with how most of February went.  


Going to the barn is no fun when your human doesn't let you run amok.





Here’s how I did on my goals for the February:



February Goals

1)      Practice courses seen at show (bonus points to finding/making fake shrubbery to jump over).  Check!

2)      Create a show mantra.  I did!  It’s actually my riding mantra now too.  It’s “smile, breathe, leg”. 

3)      Do all the things mentioned here to prepare for show.  Yes, everything but the bath and the show parts!

4)      Practice memorizing/learning courses (in lessons with Coach D). Check!

5)      Pop Mystic over a tiny fence.  Heck yeah!  We jumped a little crossrail about 6 times (3 times each direction) and then the trainer bumped it up to a vertical (18 inches-ish) and we jumped that 6 times too!

6)      Run three days a week. Womp womp.  Not so good on this one!  I ran twice the first week in February and that was about it.

7)      No pop, energy drinks or booze for Kate.  (show day is an exception, red bull gives me wings and I might need liquid courage...)  I am super proud of my success on this.  I used to drinks two energy drinks, two cokes, and one coffee almost every day.  I have never been a big drinker but when I drink anything alcoholic before bed I grind my teeth (so my face hurts/I’m crabby the next day).  I didn't weigh myself in February but I just did yesterday and I'm happy to report that my sugar detox helped me towards a 1.4lb weight loss! Woohoo!

8)      Visit Henry at the trainers.  Sure did!  More than I thought I would actually.


(ignore my weird voice pls)



9)      Participate in plank challenge at the barn.  Well... sort of.  I did this for about two weeks, and then I tweaked something in my shoulder.  So I took a day off... and it turned into the rest of the month.

10)   Clean and organize car and lockers. I got started on both and have made significant improvement, but they aren’t as tidy as I would like. 






February was a tough but good month.  I definitely got in a bit of a funk after Apollo’s splint cropped up.  But jumping tiny jumps on Mystic pretty much made my entire life. 

I’m kind of going the opposite direction from my super ambitious February goals for March.  In March I’m going to “keep it simple”.  As much as someone with two jobs and three horses can anyway!

My budget has been incredibly tight lately.  Mystic’s trainer is away for the whole month of March and Coach D is away for a week.  I’ve decided to take some time off from lessons.  Without Mystic’s trainer putting in one training ride a week with her I won’t have as much time to lesson with Coach D anyway.  I might try for a Coach D lesson later on in the month and possibly a dressage lesson too.  But for sure my first two weeks will be lesson-free.   


Posing majestically after our first ever hack last Thursday!





I mentioned here about the cost of improvement and how lessons were so valuable.   And they totally are.  But at the moment I think I can manage well on my own for a few weeks and the mental break will be nice for me and the herd (and my softly weeping bank account).

Mystic and I are both working on fitness; I don’t really need a lesson to do that.  Apollo is just starting back into light work so he’s not really ready to lesson at this point.  I think it’s the perfect time for a little break.  My bank account agrees!




So here are my simple goals for March:

1)    Work out every day.  Ok yes this is kind of a tough sounding goal.  I live 5 minutes from the gym that I work at.  Working out every day doesn’t have to be grueling.  I will have some lighter workouts and some swimming days in there too.  I have been finding my leg strength for riding has been really lacking (Mystic requires more leg than Apollo, and it’s super hard for me!).



2)    Get rid of excess stuff.  I have a lot of clothes that I never wear and horse items that I never use.  Time for some spring cleaning!

3)    Have fun with the herd.  This is the only horse goal on the list.  I want my focus with the horses to be fun, there will be plenty of hacking and creative exercises on our agenda!





The random title of this blog is a line from one of my favorite songs ("To the Dogs or Whoever" by Josh Ritter).


30 comments:

  1. I also need to get back on track with working out and eating better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard! The couch and bad food are so much more fun.

      Delete
  2. I love Josh ritter!

    Good goals too. You're doing great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's the best!! I hope I can see him in concert one day.
      And thanks :)

      Delete
  3. I love the third goal! And the sit-up thingy pretty much sums up my "exercise"... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having fun makes everyone happier! Yeah when I saw that meme I felt it in my soul haha

      Delete
  4. Awesome month. I really need to do the gym thing myself, but I just hate it so much. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate it too! But it's free and so close to my house...so I'm dragging my butt there every day. Thanks :)

      Delete
  5. Love Josh Ritter (and that song in particular!) And a good set of goals to aspire to for March!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's so awesome. I don't know which one my favorite is but that's at the top (along with Kathleen, Girl in the War, and Gettin' Ready to Get Down). I like my March goals more than my crazy February goals haha

      Delete
  6. You did great accomplishing your goals for February! I like the goals for March. It's always better to keep it simple and not put pressure on yourself to get things done. Also nice to give the bank a break. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think March will be a bit easier (and more fun!) :)

      Delete
  7. You accomplished a lot! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was kind of a crazy month haha

      Delete
  8. Awesome!!! And I agree- sometimes just getting to the gym is half the battle! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never regret going but it's really hard to go some days! Thanks :)

      Delete
  9. Love the goals! And how much you accomplished in February.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. March has been pretty awesome so far. February nearly killed me haha

      Delete
  10. Lots of great goals in there...I should prob also include exercise in my own goals. lol **sigh**

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exercise is the worst. I'm hoping I can improve my leg strength and it will help me ride better...we'll see!

      Delete
  11. congrats on a solid february! seems like almost everything worked out really well even despite the splint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Besides the evil splint things went awesome :)

      Delete
  12. I need a goal list that includes more exercise. Good job with your February goals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a struggle for me but I hope I get my leg and core strength better. Fitting into my smaller breeches would be nice also haha

      Delete
  13. Awesome job accomplishing your goals! I think a couple weeks off from lessons is fine, as long as you keep doing your homework. It's nice to see what you can remember on your own and work on applying everything without your trainer around.
    I was getting semi better at running regularly, and then I went to Florida... Then I came home and got really sick. Sooooo... that has to go back on the goal board! hahahaha!
    www.amateuratlarge.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to do my homework! I could probably just record someone yelling "shorten your reins and close your hands" and play that on repeat...it would save me a lot of lesson money haha. I'm running a 5k next weekend and I have run like a whooping 3 times lately...we'll see how that goes! We'll get it done in March ;)

      Delete
  14. Great goals! I have often put exercise on the list, and well, its still on the list. Love #3! So important to make time for fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Fun makes being a grown up a bit easier to take :P

      Delete