_

_

Thursday, 24 March 2016

My Secret Weapon is the Beach Boys

I have so much to catch up on I don't even know where to start.  I got some sort of overwhelming news today....


Let me back up a little bit!  I had a great ride on Henry last Tuesday.  We rode over obstacles and went for a trail ride by a creek. He's doing great, I'm so proud of him!  The trainer, RK, has really done a wonderful job.




I planned to ask RK on Tuesday what Henry's timeline was like for being ready to come home.  He beat me to the punch by saying "Well, his 60 days are up soon."

And I was like.... what?  60 days?  That would mean he'd come home on April 7....?!?!?!

I honestly had no idea he was only there for 60 days.  I thought he was there until he was ready to go home... no matter how long that was.  I asked RK if he could possibly stay until May 1st, to develop his canter work.  He could also use more work with the bit, he is okay with having it in his mouth but he's more responsive to a halter/hackamore at this point.

The trainer said he would ask his assistant, who does the bookings.


Trail pony!  



Today I got an e-mail stating that RK was too busy in April to squeeze Henry in.  He had some training slots available in June if I was interested.


Well fuck.


Henry has no tack of his own yet.  And I have the busiest month of my life planned in April (more to come on that tomorrow).  The timing couldn't be any worse.  Coach D may still take the ride on Henry eventually, but she's had a few health issues lately and due to that I'm not sure how interested she is at this point.


I spent most of today hyperventilating at my desk.  Frantically booking a hauler and making sure it was okay that Henry move back to Apollo's barn ("home").  I had to stop myself a few times and make myself listen to "Don't Worry Baby" by the Beach Boys.  That song is my chill pill.



Prescription to chill.





My aunt was passing through town last week and left me an older barnsby jump saddle.  Hopefully the saddle gods will smile down on me and it will fit him nicely.  I do have another saddle that belonged to my other aunt (exselle AP) which might work too.  Hopefully we can figure something out.


So Henry comes home on April 2.  And then I will have three horses to ride.  Part of me is jumping for joy.  The other part of me is terrified that I'm not ready for this.



Our selfie skills still need practice too.





More updates to come tomorrow! In the meantime I will be listening to the Beach Boys on repeat :)

25 comments:

  1. Oy! That is a shock! But I have faith that you can do it. And I'm sure even if Coach D isn't ready to take over, she can probably at least come give you pointers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still in shock! Sounds like it will be Coach D to the rescue after all, she wants to ride the wild Henry :)

      Delete
  2. You're going to be just fine! Worst case scenario, Henry gets a bit of time in April to relax and think on his recent adventures :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally! That's what my husband keeps telling me and it's taken my brain a while to absorb it. :)

      Delete
  3. Wow that is a lot! Just keep breathing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying....sometimes I panic and forget! :)

      Delete
  4. Okay that's a shock but it can be totally fine. First of all Henry has had an intense 60 days so for him to have a bit of time off while you sort out saddles and a training plan is fine. He's been learning the trainer systems and taking your time teaching him how you ask for things is okay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! I think I have the saddle part figured out *whew*. I just wasn't quite prepared mentally for this big change in my plan. :)

      Delete
  5. Fast but hopefully it's smooth going up to 3 horses to ride :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holly crap! Ok, really it is good timing for your boy to have a mental break and be back with mom for a bit. You can work on all the new stuff he has learned, also getting him used to the bridle and then before you know it, he'll be off for more training. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to keep a relaxed attitude about it, we'll see how it goes! He can always go back for more training if we suck at riding together haha :)

      Delete
  7. Squee! So excited for you to start riding Hens <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It'll be interesting! He's a fancy little horse :)

      Delete
  8. That's unfortunate. I'm really surprised he couldn't fit in an extra horse for a month. I'm sure he'll be fine with you though. He looks like he's doing really well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised too. Nothing on the website or on the contract I signed says anything about 60 days so I really wasn't prepared at all. He's been a good boy for the trainer so I hope that continues at home :)

      Delete
  9. It will be fine. You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You can do it! Think positive thoughts and keep smiling!

    ReplyDelete