_

_

Friday, 1 April 2016

The 11th Hour

Something happened with Henry at the trainer.  I’m not sure what yet. 


Serving master Henry his meal last summer.



I just got an e-mail stating that Henry was not ready to come home.  It essentially said that he wouldn’t be “safe”.  So at the last minute I frantically cancelled the haul, let my barn owners know and gave Coach D the scoop. 

In my heart I felt like he was not ready to come home.  It was really stressing me out and I constantly had to give myself these creepy pep talks, such as….

“You can do this!” 
“It’ll be fine!” 
“Apollo was much greener when you bought him!  And he’s waaaaay bigger than Henry!” 


But my gut has been saying things like this:

“I know this is a bad idea.”

So although it was annoying to cancel everything…I am breathing a gigantic sigh of relief.  I’m incredibly grateful that the trainer was able to squeeze Henry in for a bit more time.  He really has done a wonderful job with Henry, and I think there is more to do. 


Henry in May 2015




I went on a trail ride with Henry last weekend.   I rode a different horse because we were going out farther and would be doing some trotting/cantering (which Henry hadn’t done yet on the trail).  My anxiety about bringing Henry home was especially heightened - I had just tried on my aunt’s barnbsy jump saddle and it didn’t fit (OMG I HAVE NO TACK FOR THIS BABY HORSE).   So I happily rode a super chill standardbred instead.

Henry was a bit cheeky for the trainer on the ride.  Nothing major, just a bit prancy and pushy.  He definitely showed that he needed a little more work on his manners under saddle.



Henry in May 2015, again



I’m very pleased the trainer will be continuing Henry’s education for another 30 days.  He doesn’t actually have time in his schedule but he decided to make time to do a few rides a week to get Henry more prepared to come home.  Hopefully I will find out soon what happened that changed the trainer’s mind!


22 comments:

  1. I am glad that the trainer made time and didn't just send him home. Hopefully it wasn't anything too horrible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad too! :) I hope it wasn't anything major haha

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a good plan! Glad it is working out for him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it will work out much better for everyone! :)

      Delete
  3. Just wanted to say even if it's something "bad" don't worry, that's just smart baby horses testing out all the potential answers :) Even Bridget tried every horrible thing at least once, and I'd honestly consider her a super solid citizen. I'm glad you get a little longer to prepare for 3 riding horses though - you're like superwoman or something and deserve an award for dedication :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very true, even Mystic had the odd "moment" with the trainer during her start under saddle. I'm glad to have a little more time to prepare for life as three-horse-rider! :)

      Delete
  4. I think it's always a good idea to go with your gut feelings. If the trainer thinks he's not as safe as he could be and is willing to work more with him, that's good. Henry will be better for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! I'm glad that it worked out for Henry to stay a bit longer. :)

      Delete
  5. I'm glad that the trainer is keeping him. I would be dying to know what it is though. Young horses go through this phase of 'you're not the boss of me' just like teenagers. When they are big and strong it can be difficult to deal with. Good luck and I'm glad that it's working out this way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy he's able to stay with the trainer a bit longer! I think he's definitely going through a "you're not the boss of me" phase and I would much rather that the trainer have that discussion with him than me hahah :)

      Delete
  6. Sometimes it's good to have a trainer who knows a horse isn't ready yet... Spud had an extra 30 days driving training because he wasn't ready yet - and I would much prefer that than end up with a disaster! However, it's super important to remmber that even after 60 days, Spud was still quite green and tried some things on me to see what he could get away with (ie. he reared once in harness when I wanted him to turn right and he didn't want to, lol).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh definitely, I not expecting a dead broke horse when he returns at all haha! Just a bit more training in place :) Hopefully Henry has some good "conversations" with the trainer in the next 30 days :)

      Delete
  7. Glad you're happy about the new plan!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad things worked out and trainer was able to fit him into the schedule.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Henry! Good that he gets some additional pro work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think Henry knew you weren't feeling ready so he decided to help the trainer see that. Good boy Henry!
    All kidding aside, I hope it was nothing major! I feel like that short time he was away isn't really enough time to take a horse from completely unbroke to safe for amateur mom. Even my very broke horses when going just for a tune-up get 3 months. At least.
    Can't wait to read the rest of the story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it was nothing major too! Glad he figured out a way to stay... :) I am so not ready haha

      Delete
  11. Glad that Henry is able to stay and your gut talked to you about it. my gut never talks to me :( probably why I make poor choices

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Usually mine just asks for food! :P

      Delete