_

_

Tuesday, 14 June 2016

Eventing 101 Clinic Recap

So I as I mentioned, Mystic and I went to an eventing intro clinic.  It cost $25 bucks for 1.5 hours of instruction – that fit into my meager budget quite nicely.  It was intended to provide information on the basics of eventing for people new to the sport and an opportunity to school cross country.
 
Coordinating the trailering to move my horse 20 minutes down the road was a complete nightmare.  And totally my fault for leaving everything to the last minute.  There were a few tears at the 11th hour and I came pretty close to not attending at all.  But one of my wonderful friends came through for me a big way and loaned me her little trailer.


Ready to go!



I was the first person mounted up in my class of three.  I walked Mystic around everywhere and she was quite keen and forward.  The person who trained Mystic was coaching the clinic, we discussed doing only the small obstacles and keeping it fun for her.  

Off we went to trot over some logs.  I think this was the most fun part of the day for me.  Mystic was very willing and honest about trotting over the logs.  I was really proud of her and she seemed to be having fun.  I felt really safe trotting and cantering with her in an open field (a feeling that I do not have on Apollo all the time).

The two other riders in my class were showjumpers, who do the 1.10m classes.  So they obviously jumped larger/scarier options than I did.  I spent a fair bit of time watching them, which was really cool.  They both rode very seasoned athletic horses, who were both quite game to try jumping some different looking fences.
 
Then we moved over to the bank.

DUNN DUNN DUNNNN.


Trotting towards our doom 

Mystic was a good sport about walking down it.  I never really felt like I got my balanced figured out.  I didn’t slip the reins enough the first time so I caught her in the mouth a bit.  After than she decided to launch off it and almost fall over upon landing.  Eventually we progressed to trotting down it.  The launches got bigger, my balance got even worse and she bucked me off at the bottom.  I haven’t fallen off in a long time.  It hurt and winded me.  I landed on my back (my husband said it was a very loud thud!).  

It took me a minute to get my breath back.  I got on and walked her down the bank twice and decided that was  enough bank for me.

Then we moved over to the water.  Pony did not want to go in the water.  I didn’t have a crop but the coach gave me a stick (like an actual wooden stick from the ground).  After enough “encouragement” from my leg and the stick she finally went in.  We followed the other horses in the water a bit too.


We ended the day trotting a log jump and cantering down into the water.  She still wasn’t 100% sold on going in the water but complied begrudgingly.  

The coach said that we need to work on our canter work (very true) and that the saddle was sliding forward a bit, these were the two things that caused us issues.  She thought Mystic was very quiet and calm for her first outing.  And she was happy that I got back up and continued riding after the bank incident.   

I wish I had ridden better.   She’s a green horse who gave me a very nice effort for most of the day, overall I'm really proud of her.  We do have some homework to do for sure! :)




My mom and my husband were watching me.  It probably wasn’t a great ride to watch and I’m sort of embarrassed I asked them to come.  I guess I’m proud that I didn’t cry or break my glasses, so those are two wins right there.  As I flew through the air I was thinking "OH NO, MY GLASSES!" because I'm old/cheap.

I do have some video of the bank and the water but I haven't figured out how to get it off my husband's photo without terrrrible quality.  I hope to have those LOL/Fail Friday-worthy videos to come shortly! ;)



21 comments:

  1. im so glad you made it!! $25 for a clinic!!!?? thats awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't beat that price! I'm so sorry you took a tumble, but I'm glad you were ok and were confident enough to continue. Also that Mystic didn't come unglued by that. Sounds like even though it wasn't easy and perfect, it was a great learning experience. I'd call that a successful day! Mystic is looking so grown up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was definitely a great learning experience! She is a grown up ponykins now :)

      Delete
  3. I can totally picture Sam picking up a stick and handing it to you! Good for you for keeping at it, even after a tumble.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahah yep! I said "darn, I wish I had a crop" and she grabbed a stick and said something like "ask and you shall receive!"

      Delete
  4. That really does sound like a super positive first outing! The clinic I went to had all sorts of crazy babies, sounds like you guys did really well! Also, if it's any consolation, Bridget leaps off the banks too and it's way easier to sit/less dramatic if you have a little more momentum coming in. The walking in and leaping off thing just about landed me in the water a week ago!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It mostly was! :) Mystic has a fairly short neck, between that and my long noodley body...we're so screwed for balance hahah.

      Delete
  5. I understand your feelings about the glasses. That is literally my first thought after a fall. I'm glad that you had a pretty positive outing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad someone understands! I thought it was so random. It was a mostly good day :)

      Delete
  6. YOu and Mystic did very well! You should be pleased.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) She tried her best for me for sure!

      Delete
  7. It sounds like a cool clinic aside from the fall. Down banks are my nemesis too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Man banks are hard, esp on green horses that aren't exactly predictable. Same with water, tho I bet Mystic feels much better about it next time she meets it! Glad it was a fun day - she sounds like such a cool pony!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes me feel better! We'll get it...eventually ;) It was fun to have an open space to run around in for a change!

      Delete
  9. This sounds like a great clinic! The fall sounds hard and I'm impressed about the not crying - I would have rolled around the ground weeping hysterically. Love the actual use of a true stick. X-D!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am such a cryer, it's truly a miracle that I'm not still crying a month later. I think the only thing that prevented waterworks was how surprised I was haha! We went old school for the stick :P

      Delete
  10. Oh no! I'm so sorry you came off, but glad you're okay. And you have some serious lady balls for getting back on in the open field!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a bit stiff afterwards, but nothing major! I have microscopic lady balls - but I'm working on it :)

      Delete
  11. Hooray for getting back on and then to go tackle the water too!

    ReplyDelete