_

_

Thursday, 9 June 2016

Return

I’m back!  I went through a bit of a tough time; I simply had no mental energy to write anything.  I still kept up on reading most of the blogs I follow – just didn’t leave many comments.  Thank you to everyone who reached out to me in the comments of my last blog or via e-mail, it meant a lot to me :)

I have a post sitting in my drafts folder that provides a lot more detail about what’s been going on, but it’s a bit personal and I’m not ready to publish it yet.  Essentially I’ve been working really hard the last two months to make my life less stressful.  





So what’s changed?  I’ll break it down by horse, as that’s probably easiest.



Mystic  – This mare continues to impress me.  We have been doing a lot of trail riding lately and she is a complete #BAMF on the trail.  I walk/trot/canter her outside and feel completely safe.   We did an Eventing 101 Clinic a few weeks ago and the post about that will be up shortly.



We are in the midst of some saddle fitting woes at the moment.  I have a saddle that is an OK fit (like 7/10 I’d say) but even with strategic padding it’s the wrong shape for her.  I feel like its ok for trail riding but for arena work/jumping we need to find a better fit.  I have a few things in the works so I hope to have something better for her soon.

I haven’t been able to afford lessons since early April for her (or any of my horses) and have decided to move her back to the property where Apollo lives at the end of June.  Lessons are on the horizon for her and I -starting in July with Coach D.  I hope to take her to the one day event on August 1.



Henry – Henry finished his training with some interesting/surprising notes from the trainer (post to come shortly).   I found him a very affordable place to live where we can do lots of trail riding this summer.  The woman who owns the property is quickly becoming a really close friend and we have so much fun riding together.  She’s very kind and patient with his quirks. 

#madcheesin



My aunt’s saddle fits him quite nicely and thank goodness because I can’t afford anything else for him at the moment!  It's an exsellle AP, not the western saddle in the picture above.

He has become quite a lovely trail horse.  It’s quite a big change for me to ride a warmblood.  He feels a lot more athletic and springy than my draft crosses (and I feel like he could dump me very easily at any time – but he hasn’t! Good boy Henry!).  Riding him has inspired me to start working on my own fitness again in a big way.

At one point Coach D came very close to buying him but that has been placed on the back-burner right now for various reasons – some of which I’ll get into when I share the notes from his trainer, RK. 



Apollo – Sadly Apollo has not gotten as much riding and attention as my young horses lately.  Soon he and Mystic will be living at the same property so I will get more rides on him.  He’s been quite a good boy for me when I have squeezed the odd ride in.  He really needs to be ridden at least 4 days a week or he’s an incredibly hot ride.  I hope to have my husband riding him by the end of summer- so we have some work to do there!  I actually rode him with only a neck rope a few weeks ago, which was one of my big 2016 goals!

Going forward he will be starting lessons soon and the plan is for Coach D to ride him in the one day event in August.  The Verhan saddle still fits him beautifully and he doesn’t have to share it with Mystic anymore because it doesn’t fit her now.

I had a fall last Friday when he bolted at the mounting block, so mounting block manners will our number one priority going forward.  Followed closely by fitness/regular riding!







I had planned to come back to blogging when the dust had settled a bit.  But I’ve learned that creating a less stressful life is ongoing, and the dust will never really settle because life is always changing.  I’m a bit sad that I have missed documenting the last two months and in future I think I’ll try to blog through rough patches in life.




I’m excited to properly catch up with blogland and share more details on what's up with me and my herd! :)

38 comments:

  1. Welcome back!!! I look forward to catching up with all the ponies. It sounds like they have made huge strides in the last few months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Lots of big changes for sure.

      Delete
  2. I'm so excited you're back!!! Having an entire herd of working equine is EXHAUSTING! Especially when you add in work and family/friends on top of it all. I've been thinking about you and your ponies a lot lately, and I can't wait to hear all about how everyone is coming along!
    I've been feeling a bit overwhelmed myself lately. It can be tough to fit blogging into the schedule, but I think it helps sometimes to write about things. Helps me sort through stuff. Maybe that's why people keep diaries... I guess I'd rather share it for the world to see? Hard to say. Regardless, WELCOME BACK!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so exhausting! Even when I feel like I'm doing my best I'm still not getting as much done as I would like to - working on that haha. I'll try to blog through the rough patches next times I think, you're right it's sort of like a diary (a public one, but still!). Thanks for the warm welcome :)

      Delete
  3. welcome back! hopefully you feel like you've been able to sort some stuff out. looking forward to the updates on your herd!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Things are going much better these days, gotta keep this positive roll going now!

      Delete
  4. Welcome back! You and the ponies were missed. The work/life/family/mental & emotional health/life balance is not easy. Sometimes it is a process, and it can be ever changing. Looking forward to your updates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I have always struggled with balancing everything but having two new horses under saddle has thrown in quite a challenge (a happy challenge but still tricky to manage sometimes). More updates to come!

      Delete
  5. Yayyyy, so glad to see you back!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome back - I missed your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yay! I'm glad you're back and the ponies are all doing well too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are pretty awesome! Happy to be back!

      Delete
  8. Happy to see you posting again, you've been missed! Will be looking forward to the detailed updates :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Lots of updates coming very soon :)

      Delete
  9. Yay, so glad you're back. It sounds like you've been very productive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My bum has been in the saddle a lot, that's for sure. Happy to be back!!

      Delete
  10. Welcome back. Sometimes blogging has to take a back seat in order to sort other things out. I can't wait to hear more. I am sorry that you had an accident on the mounting block!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The mounting block has always been a uneasy space for me, I thought that I had kind of conquered that fear... but I suspect I will be working on that again. Isn't that always the way haha

      Delete
  11. Welcome back! Looks like everyone is doing great. So happy to hear about all the progress you're making with your herd!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They have been such good ponies for me!

      Delete
  12. It's good to see you back! I love seeing your pics of the "kids" on IG but had wondered how you were doing. Glad to hear that things are better and will look forward to your more detailed post when you're ready to share it with us. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very happy to be back! More details to come :)

      Delete
  13. So glad you're back and can't wait to hear all about your ponies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! They are such good ponies :)

      Delete
  14. Welcome back. Sounds like Mystic and Henry sure super stars! Sorry to hear about your fall. Hope you're ok.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm not hurt, but I always had some fears at the mounting block... so I will be re-visiting this for sure.

      Delete
  15. Welcome back and you are right, organizing a life is an ongoing process. Glad the young horses have been making steady progress, your future plans for them all looks totally solid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes it's been a moving target for sure. I am pretty blessed to have such sensible young horses (knock on wood!)

      Delete