_

_

Friday, 29 July 2016

Answers

Henry ended up seeing the vet yesterday instead due to some scheduling issues.  So I've been trying to remain calm since last Friday when the vet told me that his splint bone was likely fractured (I'm googled - I'm weak!). 



Yesterday we x-rayed the swelling on the splint bone, both fetlocks and did one lateral view of each hoof. 

I was hoping to share the films today but I haven't received them yet.  Hopefully next week!

I'm pleased to report that we got some very happy answers!  I'll break it down by body part.


Swelling on splint bone - No break!  The vet was a bit shocked.  It's a very bad splint that is still setting.  We're going to keep a close eye on it and give him two weeks off.  She's hopeful that since he hasn't been lame at all that the suspensory is likely ok.  If anything changes soundness-wise we will ultrasound.  This was pretty much the best case scenario I could have hoped for.  Fingers crossed that it sets fairly soon and doesn't cause any other problems.



Fetlocks - Both normal.  I really was expecting something weird here.  She said one is shaped a bit differently that the other and both are working fine with no signs of early arthritis/other issues.



Hooves - Both normal.  She thought my farrier was doing a nice job.  These images are not fantastic as we had a hard time keeping him on the wooden blocks.  But she said everything looks normal and he has a nice amount of sole.


YAY!!!!  Excited for the splint to set so I can ride Mr. Henry again.



I hope everyone has a great long weekend!  I'm frantically preparing to leave for a country music festival for two days with one of my best friends and my husband.  Hope to be back with some x-ray images soon :)

30 comments:

  1. YAY!!! Glad Henry is gonna be OK!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best news ever!! So happy for good x-rays!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Phew is exactly the noise I made when the vet told me haha :)

      Delete
  4. So glad it was good news :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad nothing's broken and I hope the splint heals up quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems to be a slow one to heal but I'm so happy the bone is ok :)

      Delete
  6. Yay! Great news. Rest up, Henry! Enjoy your music festival! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay is right! I had a lot of fun, still recovering today haha

      Delete
  7. I'm so glad you got great news!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good news for Henry! Enjoy your festival.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay! Great news, literally all around! Good boy Henry :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome, sounds like excellent news all around!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow how scary...so glad it turned out to be better news in the end. Sending healing thoughts for a speedy recovery (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can handle bad news, I can't handle waiting for almost a week for an xray. Happy the wait was for happy news at least!

      Delete
  12. It sounds like he's going to be fine. So this is good news. Enjoy the music festival!

    ReplyDelete